Chapter IX

Chapter IX

Ariadne

"I--I'm telling you the truth," I stuttered. My heart was beating erratically. Suddenly, I remembered my dress and the anklet that I couldn't remove. I wanted to kick myself for how foolish I had been. Of course he wouldn't believe me when I didn't really appear to be a servant.

The young man raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?"

I nodded vigorously, "Yes, please believe me."

"Girl, do you take me for a fool?"

"No, sir, please. Just let me go. I promise I'll never return here again," I pleaded, praying he would listen to reason.

"Then why are you lying to me? I asked who you are and you lied," he gripped my arm tightly and pulled me closer. I had to look up to see his face, being that he was much taller than me.

"I... told you the truth," I whispered.

The man's jaw worked and he suddenly started walking again, dragging me behind him. I pulled against his grip and twisted my arm, trying to get him to release me. Maybe, if I managed to get his hands off me for a minute, I would be able to make a break for it.

But the only thing I succeeded in doing was getting him to increase his grip on my arm. He didn't even slow down in his pace as we headed back towards the villa and through the back door.

I realized what he was doing and heightened my efforts to get away. "Please, don't. I'm sorry!" I rushed, trying to think of anything I could say. But he didn't seem to care.

I tried another effort to get away by twisting my arm around in the hopes that he would have to let go.

Amazingly, it somewhat worked! The man loosened his grip and I was able to pry my arm from his grip and dash down the hall before he could grab me again.

I heard his footsteps behind me and instantly knew he was making chase. I hiked up my dress higher, and risked a glance behind me.
However, just as I turned my gaze away from where I was going, I ran smack into something. Or, rather, someone.

So shocked, I tumbled backwards and smacked the ground. Hard.

I looked up to see a tall, darker skinned man staring down at me. He was obviously not from around here, and possibly Egyption.

The other man caught up to me and easily grabbed my arm, lifting me from the ground none-too-gently. He gave me a hard glare, but didn't say anything.

"What is going on, Lycus?" The Egyption man asked.

"It's nothing," my captor, apparently called Lycus, answered. "Just some thief who I was taking to see the master. I'm taking care of it."
With that, Lycus tugged me back along the hallway.

We didn't stop walking until we arrived in front of an intricate door. There, he stiffly knocked once.

I could hear voices inside that faded. Then one spoke up. "Enter."

Lycus gave one more glance to me, before pushing open the door and pulling me inside behind him.

Things are getting hairy! (Hehe sorry for the corny comment. I'm just like that!)

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed it :)

Ariadne - Ithildae