Chapter XV

Chapter XV

Ariadne

I remained absolutely quiet, trying to just observe this new turn of events. I was grateful for this man stepping up and saving me, but I was no slave and didn't belong to anyone.

Lycus's gaze wandered for a moment before he answered. "Uh... well, I..."

The man raised his eyebrow, not in a condescending way, but more like he was confused.

Lycus sighed. "I've met her before, sir."

"Really? Does she belong to someone you know?" The young man asked with genuine curiosity.

"Well, no. I don't exactly know who she belongs to."

The younger girl standing beside Lycus tugged on his arm once. "Lycus," she whispered, "We need to be going."

He glanced down at her before focusing back on the young man just as he spoke. "I don't understand."

I knew what was coming next. I could see it would end up this way from the beginning.

Lycus sighed. "She... stole from my master. That's how I met her."

There it was. He just had to say so. Well, not that I blamed him for it, though. He didn't care for me so why not tell the man?

"Stole? What did she steal?"

Lycus didn't answer for a moment. He pushed off the young girl's hand when she tugged on his arm again. "I must be going. My master is expecting me back soon." He started to turn around, but the young man wouldn't have it.

"Wait just a moment please. I find it hard to believe that that disgusting man back there was indeed her master."

Lycus pivoted back around to the man. "I know not who she belongs to." His voice sounded irritated. "Why don't you perhaps ask her?"

I started to take a step backwards when the young man turned his gaze upon me. "Tell me please, who is it you belong to?"

I didn't answer. How could I? What would I tell him but that I am not a slave at all?

He gently took my hand in his. "You don't need to be afraid. I won't harm you."

I noticed Lycus still watching me, perhaps wondering what I would say. "I... I am not a slave."

The young man's eyes widened, but Lycus didn't seem surprised at all. Perhaps he had suspected something all along.

Before I admitted to anything else, I glanced around us to be sure that most of the crowd had dispersed. Thankfully, they had all gone back to their business and were not paying us any attention.

"Not a slave? Then who are you?" The man asked.

"I'm from Thebes," I blurted, praying that it wouldn't be the worst mistake of my life. "The Persians recently laid waste to my city." My voice dropped to merely above a whisper. "I managed to escape, but when I returned my mother was gone. My maid told me that they had taken her and that they planned to sell her in Rome." I didn't meet the man's gaze or Lycus's. I stiffened my arms and locked my legs to keep from shaking. I couldn't show fear now.

After a moment's silence, the young man finally spoke. "So, you are a princess?"

I swallowed. "Yes."

I really like this chapter for some reason :) It's kinda cute, if I do say so.

Ariadne - Ithildae