Chapter LXIX

Chapter LXIX

Lycus

Pain. Pain. And more pain. That word was probably overused by now, but it was the best one to describe how I felt at that moment, beside agony of course, but that was too many syllables for the moment.

Well, nothing left to do now but wait for the end and hope it was swift. I saw no way to get out of this pickle a day ago, and definitely saw no way out now. Maybe Ariadne could slip out, but not me. I didn't even want to move. At all. I was serious; it hurt to breathe.

The sound of the door opening on its rusty hinges grated on my ears. What now? Was it that Clavius fellow come to finish the job? Whoever it was, it couldn't bode well for us.

It was a man. A soldier. That was all I could make out through my darkened sight.

"Come with me," He said. I recognized his voice as belonging to the first soldier who'd come in.

"Who are you?" Came Ariadne's startled reply.

"A friend. Now come with me."

"No. I can't just leave. For all I know, my mother is still out there somewhere. I have to find her. Besides, why should I trust you?"

The man held up his hands. "Keep your voice down, please. I'm here to help you escape. It's not right how they're treating you and your friend," he said.

You could say that again, I agreed silently. But still, Ariadne was right in that we couldn't just trust him. After all, we'd trusted Lydia.

"There's not much time. We could be discovered. Please come with me now."

Ariadne still resisted. "No. Lycus can't travel at all. He's still weak."

Oh please, Ariadne, you needn't make me sound so... weak. But she was right. I didn't see how I could even move. My muscles were stiff and sore from the beating and it was futile to even think of my leg. Ugh, just thinking about it brought another jab of pain.

"Your mother is in another cell not far away. We can get her before escaping. Just please, come now," he pleaded.

Ariadne hesitated before finally agreeing. A few seconds later his words seemed to click with her. "Wait, my mother is here?" She asked.

The soldier nodded as he bent to help me up. Every part of me protested to the movement, and I wanted to stay nice and still on the floor, but I was pulled up and resisting would only bring more unnecessary movement.

"Your mother was found and captured. But there's no time for storytelling now. We need to go."

I was supported between the soldier and Ariadne, which was good because I for sure couldn't support myself, much as I hated to admit it. Then we were on our way, hopefully out of the hands of the emperor for good.

Here's a double update because I'm a horrible person and forgot to update for sooooo long.🙈

Lycus - GadSul