Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI

Lycus

So. She was a runaway princess. I took a deep breath. I really wanted to hear how this all had transpired, but Rizpah wouldn't have it.

"C'mon, Lycus. We're late already! You don't want a scolding from Horus, do you? Of course not, so let's go!" She kept tugging on my arm.

I looked to Rizpah, then back at Ariadne. "I have to go." And turned away.

"Wait," The young man called again. "Your name, at least?"

I only turned my head to reply quickly, "Lycus." I started walking with Rizpah again.

I heard him call after me, "Aristarchus."

Aristarchus. I took it to be his name. I continued on hurriedly. We bought the last items, and headed back to Master's villa. We were going to get it from Horus.

Indeed, the first thing we heard when we walked into the kitchen was Horus' big voice scolding us.

"Late again? Lycus you used to be all about times, and schedules, and now the second time in a week that you've been late."

I held up my hands once they were freed from the fruits they'd been carrying. "Please, Horus, as means of excuse, there was a commotion in town." I said and thought that would be the end of it.

But then Rizpah piped up, "It was exciting, Horus. There was young woman who was getting recaptured by her master, and the master was making an absolute scene of it."

"Very interesting." Horus said, only half paying attention as he went through the items we'd bought.

Rizpah continued, "But it got better, Horus. Lycus actually spoke up for her."

This caught Horus' attention. "What? Lycus, the keep-his-hands-washed of everything spoke up for a slave girl he didn't even know?" I could tell Horus didn't quite believe her.

"He did," Rizpah insisted. "Then, a young man, very handsome, spoke up from the crowd! He even bought the girl from the first man."

"Huh," Horus, who had sat down to listen, got up and started to put things away.

"But that's not all." Rizpah baited. "Turns out, she's actually a Greek princess from Thebes!"
That, Horus would not believe. "Aw, Rizpah, you're pulling my leg."

"I'm not! And she's even stolen from us, too." Rizpah finished.

Horus turned his gaze to me, "Oh, was that the bedraggled little thing you caught the other day?" He asked.

So far, I'd been left out of the conversation and had rather wanted it to stay that way. I groaned, "Yes, yes, that was her. Now, back to work. I think Master would like cooked meat for supper, and that won't happen if we just sit around here, jawing with each other." That signalled the end of the conversation, and everyone returned to their previous occupations.

I hope you liked it! Also, since you guys are just amazing readers, I'm giving you all a double update :) Enjoy!

Lycus - GadSul