Chapter XXXVI

Chapter XXXVI

Lycus

My mind overflowed with half formed plans and schemes to get Ariadne out of the sticky situation she was in. There was no way I could do it by myself. I'd have to ask one of the other slaves to help me, but who?

Varus. He'd been a slave in this villa ever since Master had bought it, and he was what I could consider a friend. Surely he'd help. Though it was probably just wishful thinking. No. I couldn't let Ariadne down. I'd ask him as soon as I could. 

The fates were apparently with me, for I bumped into him on my way.

"Woah, Lycus, slow down," He admonished me as he continued on his way.

"Uh, Varus, wait, I have to ask you something." I grabbed his arm before he was out of my reach and he turned back to me, a bemused expression on his face.

I gulped and couldn't get the words out. This was bad idea, and it would never work. I still had to try. Ariadne was counting on me. Well, she wasn't counting on me, and probably didn't even know I was doing it, but still. The thought encouraged me.

"Lycus, there was something you wanted to ask me?" Varus asked me.

I gulped again, "Uh, I um..." How could I phrase this? 'Varus, I need you to help me and another slave escape.' Ludicrous.

"Lycus?" Varus prompted me again, "If you don't need anything, I have things to do," He sounded impatient.

I had to get it out. "C--Can you help me and another slave escape? It has to be soon because she'll be lion bait before long," I blurted.

Varus looked at me like I'd suggested going to the moon. It was impossible. There's no way Ariadne was going to get out of the mess she was in. Dismal thoughts crowded in. I sighed, "Sorry, Varus. I guess it was just wishful thinking." I turned back to my duties.

But Varus called after me, "Lycus, I do know of a way that you could get out."

I perked up at this. Really? I turned back around. "Really?" I almost disbelieved him, but now I had hope again, even if it probably was going to get crushed again by his next words.

He came closer so that no one could hear what he said to me. "In the garden, there's a little door. It's behind a bush and I don't know how many people know it's there. If you can wait until nightfall, and can get Ariadne out of where she's being kept. You could sneak through the door and into the city. If you can get out of the city soon enough, it's possible that you can escape completely."

I took a deep breath. It was possible. This thought alone strengthened my resolve to help Ariadne. "Where's the bush?"

"You know the magnolia tree that Mistress likes to sit under?" Varus asked.

I nodded.

"The bush that's right next to it. The one with the orange flowers."

I nodded again. "Thank you, Varus," I whispered to him, my throat had gone dry.

He gave a small smile and continued on his way. I leaned against the wall, the enormity of the task I was about to do weighing heavy on my shoulders. I shook my head to clear it and continued with the day, doing more plotting on how to effectively, silently and swiftly get her out. It would be tough, but I was still going to try.

Annnd a double update for you all since you've been so patient!

Lycus - GadSul