Chapter XLIX

Chapter XLIX

Lycus

Wha--whaat? How? Ariadne and I glanced at each other, and I could see her blushing. I turned back to Lydia, "Well, that is quite the news..."

Lydia just smiled. There was something about the smile that I didn't quite like, but I ignored it. I wasn't sure what to make of the news that I was now a traitor to Rome. It didn't upset me that I'd betrayed Rome; I was only nervous about the consequences. At this point, I wasn't sure any more if we could afford to find Ariadne's mother when we would both be hunted.

I felt Ariadne tug at my arm, "Lycus, how are we going to find my mother now?" She asked.
I sighed. I didn't want to tell her that we should just give up, but I also didn't see how we could. I didn't have time to answer, because Lydia interjected, "They'll be looking everywhere for you, so maybe you should find a hideout until it's safe. I know of  place you could go."

"Where is it?" Ariadne asked.

"It's in a nicer part of town, near the marketplace. You'll meet a man by the name of Drusus; tell him that Lydia sent you."

Ariadne nodded, "For context, what does Drusus look like?"

Lydia shrugged, "Pretty average. You'll know him because he's in the garb of a legionary, and has a scar along his jawline." Lydia traced along her jaw to indicate where the scar was.

I nodded. "Thank you, we should be going now."

Lydia stood up and led us to the door. "Well, it was a pleasure to be of help." She returned to her laundry as Ariadne and I set out for the marketplace and the man called Drusus. 

We did our best to blend in with the crowd and remain unnoticed, and in that way, made it to the market uneventfully. After some searching, we saw a man who had the uniform of a soldier and upon closer inspection, a scar along his jaw. He was in conversation with a shopkeeper and we heard him call the soldier "Drusus". We'd found our man.

I felt nervous about approaching, and by the way Ariadne gripped my hand, I could tell she felt much the same way. I shoved any hesitations and fears to the side and strode up to the man.

"Excuse me," I interrupted the conversation, "Are you Drusus?" I immediately felt his harsh stare on me. I'd just done what no slave could ever justify doing. I interrupted very rudely.

Drusus eye's narrowed, "I am. What do you want?"

I gulped. Maybe I couldn't do this. I cleared my throat and leaned in a little closer, "My name is Lycus, and this is Ariadne," I jerked her forward as she was holding back. "We were sent by Lydia," I finished.

Drusus surveyed us both. He took a long time to reply. I felt my palms getting sweaty. Something was off.

Finally, he smiled a cold smile and clapped his hands together. "And you, my friend, just made a very bad mistake."

Uh oh... what's gonna happen next??? 😬😬

Lycus - GadSul