Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII

Lycus

I had just been walking down to the kitchen, looking for Horus, when something happened that wasn't supposed to happen.

I entered the kitchen, and Horus wasn't there. But, someone else was. It was a dirty little ragamuffin, dressed in clothes that must have been fine once but were now dirty and torn, who appeared to have just devoured one of the honey cakes Horus had made earlier in the day.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

She looked up, startled, and dashed towards the door. She tripped on the hem of her rayment and I was able to grab her arm before she escaped.

"Thief! what are you doing here?" I demanded.

"Uh, I was--uh..." She trailed off. "Please let me go," she whimpered.

A ploy for pity, no doubt. I paid no heed to it. "Let you go? So you can steal from other unguarded property, I suppose."

"No! I was hungry, and--"

I didn't let her finish. "A lot of people are. That doesn't mean they can steal at will," I stated harshly. "You're going to pay for this."

I started to pull her along with intent to report her to the master, who would turn her over to the authorities, but she kept struggling. She tried to twist out of my grip, but I grabbed her with my other hand before she could get away.

"Please, please let me go," she whimpered.

I stopped walking and studied the girl more closely. She was young, only about sixteen or so I would guess. Her chiton was made of fine linen with some golden embroidery, not something you'd see just anyone wearing. A flash of something shiny caught my eyes down by her feet. It was a golden anklet, also something you wouldn't see a common plebeian wearing. I decided that this might not be an average case of thievery.

I sighed, slightly mad at myself for how I was letting this turn out. "What's your name?"

She looked surprised at my question. "W-Why do you want to know?" She stuttered.

I sighed with irritation, "What's your name, girl? We haven't got all day." I asked more harshly.

She still didn't answer, just stared at me with big brown eyes.

"I can take you my master right now, and you'll never get another chance to get away." I threatened.

Her already wide eyes widened some more. "My--My name's Ariadne." She blurted out rather loudly.

I shoved a hand over her mouth. "Be quiet!" I whispered harshly, "if anyone comes along this passageway, they might not be so merciful." I removed my hand and yanked her back through the kitchen door and outside. I made a sharp turn to the right and into a clump of trees where we would be less likely to be noticed.

"Alright. Who are you and what are you doing here?" I said tersely.

She looked confused. "My name's Ariadne."

I rolled my eyes. "Who are you, not what's your name. What's your position? Who's your family? If your answers satisfy me, I might let you go."

A glint of hope entered her eyes.

"I said I might let you go. And only if your answers satisfy me."

The glint of hope lessened somewhat, but remained. She began carefully, "I'm a servant, but I lost my master and mistress when I was with them in some woods."

Needless to say, I didn't believe her. If she was a servant, why was she dressed in such fine clothes? And if she got lost while with her owners in the woods, what were they doing, and how far away from their lodging were they that she could get lost?

"You've got to do better than that." I said.

Oh boy... comment what you thinks going to happen to Ariadne! 😬

Ariadne - Ithildae