Chapter XII

Chapter XII

Lycus

Life continued. That's all I can say. I carried out my duties, enjoyed a bit of leisure time, nothing much to say. The only really exciting thing to happen, was Phoebe getting betrothed. It was during the midday meal when she got the news.

Master started out. "Phoebe, dear, I have some exciting news for you."

Phoebe looked up from her meal, "Yes, father?"

I already knew, as I had overheard master and his wife discussing it. If I knew Phoebe, she would be furious at first, but I also sensed she wouldn't be quite so upset when she learned who her future mate was.

Master and his wife exchanged looks. "We've decided on a husband for you." Master said, his face wreathed in smiles.

Phoebe's eyes widened and turned angry. "All this without my consent?" She shrieked.

I wanted to groan. It was a simple fact: Roman girls had little to no say in who their husbands were going to be.

"Now now, my dear, just calm down." Master said, trying to soothe her.

"Calm down?" Phoebe replied, her voice still raised, "I'm going to be married to a complete stranger for all I know."

Master's wife put her oar in, "Not a complete stranger, Phoebe, you've met him a few times before."

Phoebe quieted, but still looked dubious. "Who is it?"

"Philippides Democedes." Master's wife stated simply.

At that, Phoebe calmed down almost completely.

Philippides. I'd seen him at a few of the feasts master had hosted. He was a handsome not-so-young man with practically no brain, but a ready tongue, and Phoebe apparently found him agreeable.

Olympia stayed silent through all this, but I could see a sliver of dread in eyes. She was fifteen years old, and should have gotten married by now, but master hadn't found anyone for her. The same had been true of Phoebe, until now.

I paid little heed to the conversation that followed. I was preparing myself mentally for the busy days that would follow. Weddings were always bustling events for the family of the bride and groom, and laborious for their slaves. Being the master's right hand man, I would probably be overseeing most of the shopping and other preparations. This would involve a lot of stamina and testing of mental capacity.

After the meal was over, and I was out of earshot, I gave a melancholy sigh.

-

The next day dawned bright and early. Well, actually, no it didn't. It dawned early for the slaves, but the sun was hidden by clouds. I was sent to town with Rizpah again to get the necessities for the day. I don't know why I was sent, since I expected to be at home, helping with the plans; but for some reason, I was sent.
The market was bustling, as usual, and This time it wasn't so hard to get everything we needed. We had one more stop before we could head back, when a commotion in the town square caught our attention.

"What do you see, Lycus?" Rizpah asked me because I was taller.

My height, while greater than Rizpah's was not impressive, so I had to peek over the shoulders of those in front of me. We managed to work our way to the front of the crowd, but when I saw who the commotion was centered around, I wanted to turn right back around and hide in the crowd; for the subject of attention was none other than the girl whom I had caught stealing. Ariadne.

O.O ohhhh boy. What's gonna happen next???? Guess you'll have to wait and see!

Lycus - GadSul