Chapter LXXII

Chapter LXXII

Ariadne

Everything was a haze. The walk out of the dungeon, the secret hallway, and even the conversation with the man who was helping us. The pain of losing my mother gripped me hard and threatened to suffocate me. After all I had done to find her and save her, I still was too late. And the thought of her passing all alone, in pain, was too much to bear. My mind just seemed to shut down.

We were placed in the back of a wagon with hay piled over us. Then the wagon lurched forward and moved at a steady pace. According to the driver, he would take us to a secluded farm outside of Rome where we could rest and recover.

Along the way, I found myself drifting off to sleep every now and then, the events of everything that happened finally catching up with me. I kept my eyes open for as long as I could, worried I'd fall asleep and miss something important. But finally, I couldn't hold out any longer. I let myself drift off into a deep, comforting sleep.

"Ariadne, I'm waiting..."

"Mother?" Where was she? I searched through the grey haze, trying to seek the owner of the voice I cherished. But she was nowhere to be found.

"Come to me, Aria. I'm still... waiting..."

Her voice haunted me, bringing desperation to my lips. My feet were lead. They wouldn't move, stuck in the fog that cloaked my surroundings. Where could she be? I had to find her. I had to get to her before something happened.

"Mother," I cried, "where are you?"

"Right here, my sweet."

A mouthless scream left my lips as my mother's mangled body appeared before my feet. Her eyes stared up at me, gaunt and lifeless. Her body was contorted in an unnatural angle, gross and disfigured. I couldn't look away; my eyes were stuck on her, forever staring at her dead body. I failed her.

Aww this was a depressing chapter. But at least it's an update, right??

Ariadne - Ithildae