Chapter XXXIV

Chapter XXXIV

Lycus

In the morning, I was awakened by someone jabbing me in the ribs and their voice telling me to wake up. I slowly opened an eye. It was one of the slaves who shared the room. A barbarian called Varus. I groaned, and leaned on my elbow whilst rubbing my eyes. I got to my feet and began with the day.

It was uneventful, as far as days go, except for near the end when something did happen. Something not pleasant at all.

It was mid afternoon, and there was a commotion in the triclinium. As I was walking past, I heard Ariadne's name which causes me to stop and listen.

"... saw her myself, she was dipping her hand into the mistress' jewelry box and taking out a string of pearls," I heard the voice of one of the slaves accuse.

I peeked in and saw Ariadne and another slave, the one who'd accused her, standing before the Master. Ariadne's face was white as a sheet, and I didn't blame her. The punishment for stealing was usually a sentence to the arena to die being torn apart by lions.

"But, I didn't," She protested, "I've never even been inside the Mistress' bedroom."

Master raised his hands to silence her, "Now, calm down. Bithia," He called to another slave, "go to the chamber she sleeps in and search her belongings for the pearls. If none are found, we know you're innocent. If not, there will be punishment."

Bithia went to do as she was bid and returned a few minutes later with the pearls in hand.

I gasped. I saw Ariadne's face go ashen. I didn't believe that she would steal, but what could I say? I was just a slave and I had no evidence to prove that she was innocent.

I didn't wait to hear the Master's verdict. I had to do something. But what?

O.O well that was quite the chapter! I wonder what's gonna happen next?? >:)

Lycus - GadSul