Chapter LXXIX

Chapter LXXIX

Lycus

"Ariadne," I started, "you don't need..." I trailed off, unsure how to continue. What was I supposed to say to that? I couldn't just leave it there. It was true, our mission had turned out to be useless. And if I'd never met Ariadne, I'd no doubt still be with my Master in Rome; living a dull and boring life. But that's just it.

True, I had gone through a terrible amount of pain, and I'd be maimed for the rest of my life because of it, but it was exciting, wasn't it? Albeit a little too exciting for most of it, but that couldn't be helped. But now here we were, in bad shape, but recovering. Still in danger, but there was hope. Yes, The road ahead looked dark in some parts, but not so dark in others.

"Ariadne," I started again, "you don't need to apologize. You did get us into some scrapes, and our mission did turn out to be futile, and there's still some unresolved business, but we're safe here for the present. And if we play our cards right we'll be safe in the future too." I raised a hand and laid it on her shoulder, despite the stab of pain it caused me.

She didn't look up, but reached her hand up and put it over mine. "Thanks, Lycus," She said, her voice just above a whisper.

I smiled, "Any time." I leaned back, relaxed, reflecting over all the events that had brought us two, an unlikely duo of Greek Princess and Roman slave, to our present state and location.

It was quite amazing, really, everything that had happened to us. It was more amazing that we survived. But we did. And now we were free to continue with our lives and take on whatever adventures that might befall.

Ariadne sat on the edge of the bed, and we both were silent, reflecting on our own thoughts. She leaned back on the wall, next to me, and I absently put my arm around her shoulders as she leaned into me. I kissed her temple gently.

I gazed out the window of the modest room, out into the sunlit courtyard where the breeze still sighed, the birds still chirped, and the sun still filtered lazily through the green leaves of the oak tree. It really was a beautiful day.

The End