Chapter XXV

Chapter XXV

Ariadne

"What do you mean?" Lycus asked slowly.
I then realized what I had done. I had practically given away my plans for escape! And all because I had been mad at this stuck up slave. If I were home, Mother would have had him whipped for how he had spoken to me.
Mother. Oh, thinking of her made my heart ache. But I forced myself to focus and not get caught up in my emotions. That wouldn't help me at all.

"Nothing," I said quickly, hoping he would let things slide.

Lycus leaned in closer to me. "What are you planning, Ariadne?" His voice was lower, and stern. I felt miffed. He had no right to talk to me that way!

I pushed him away, creating some space between us. "Like I said before, it is nothing. And I will most certainly not share it with the likes of you," I sneered. I turned to go, but Lycus grabbed my arm.

"Don't do anything foolish," he warned.

I don't know where this flash of courage came from, but I yanked my arm out of his grasp and said right back at him. "Leave me alone, slave." I didn't wait to see his reaction, turning and continuing on my way almost immediately.

However, Lycus had other plans. He came after me, hurrying his pace until he was in front of me. Then he stopped and turned, blocking my way. He was much taller and larger in stature than me, so I knew I wouldn't be able to get past him. He seemed to know it too.

"I guess I was mistaken," he said lowly, "Clearly, you are no princess. For no princess I know would ever act so vulgar."

It was like a slap. His words, sharp and forceful, stung. With that, all my anger and courage evaporated. They disappeared like the early morning dew in the light of the sun. I took a deep breath.

"That... was uncalled for. I apologize," I managed, trying my best to swallow my pride. It didn't matter who was in the wrong; I needed Lycus not to hate me or he could easily make my mission so much harder.

"Saying sorry doesn't bring things back to the way they were," Lycus said. "And I am not. I don't know why you are here, or what has happened, but I don't care." He didn't seem quite finished with that, but before he could say anything more, several people carrying torches came down the hallway towards us. As they got closer, I realized that they were the overseer and another guard.

I glanced back at Lycus to see fear on his face. I didn't know why, but that made me wary as well.

The two stopped right in front of us, their faces grim. Lycus and I stood silently, facing them.
"You're to come with us. Master's orders," the overseer said.

Fear bubbled up in the pit of my stomach. I didn't move, neither did Lycus.

"Hurry now, Master doesn't want to waste any time," the man said with more urgency. At his words, the guard acted. He handed the torch to the overseer and faced Lycus and I.

"Will you come willingly?" The guard asked.
Lycus nodded somewhat apprehensively. I didn't move.

"What is going on?" I whispered.

The guard didn't respond. Instead, he took a firm hold of my arm and began leading me down the dimly lit hallway. Lycus, with the overseer's orders, left the towels behind and followed as well.

As we walked, I wondered just what exactly we had gotten ourselves into.

Hey guys! We're so glad you all are loving our story! This was such a fun story to write and we enjoy sharing it with you all!

Ariadne - Ithildae

PS because I'm so horrible at updating regularly, I'll post two updates in a row ;) Also, cause no one likes cliffies.