Chapter XVII

Chapter XVII

Ariadne

"Are you sure you're alright?" Aristarchus asked again.

To be honest, I wasn't. And I hadn't been for a long time. But I barely knew him and had already divulged in a major secret. I wasn't prepared to give anything else up.

"Yes, thank you."

We were at Aristarchus' house where one of his servants was currently fussing over me. I had to admit that it felt nice, but I still didn't want to be here. I was wasting time while my mother was somewhere out there, possibly in terrible pain and anguish. That thought alone caused me to stand up.

"I am indebted to you, good sir, for helping me, but I must be on my way."

He frowned and rose to his feet as well. "So soon? But surely you must be tired. And perhaps would like to rest and bathe?" He gestured towards my filthy clothes. I was sure I looked like a mess.

I yearned to say yes. I really did, but I felt that I had already overstayed my welcome.

"I really must be going," I repeated. Then a thought struck me. "And I promise to pay you back as soon as I get home."

"For what?" He looked confused.

"For... well, buying me."

He took my hand in his and lightly kissed the top of it. "It was my honor. No one deserves to be treated that way."

I felt the heat creeping up my neck and spreading to my cheeks. When he let go of my hand, I could still feel the touch of his soft lips on it.

"Thank you again," I said quietly, a small smile forming on my lips. I turned to go, but his voice stopped me.

"Please," he begged, "I pray, just stay one night? It's the least I could do."

I was about to decline once again, but the want for food and clean clothes made me change my mind. "Alright. Just one night, if you are sure."

He smiled as well and nodded before leading me to a room in his large home. He pressed open the door and held it for me. "You may stay here, if you like. I know it's probably not like what you are used to--"

I cut him off, not even thinking about my manners. "It is just perfect. Thank you."

"It is my pleasure." He kissed my hand once more before leaving me in the room. But he paused a few steps down the hallway. "I will have a servant girl sent to help you bathe in time for the evening meal."

"Thank you," was all I could say. I was stuck staring at his dark, handsome eyes until he turned away and left.

I waited inside the spacious room for the servant girl. It was a beautiful room, though perhaps not as fancy as my own room had been back in Thebes. However, I wasn't about to complain. There was a nice, well made bed, closet, and a door that led to a bathroom with an elegant mirror hanging on one wall.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and was horrified by my appearance. It was quite frightful with the dark bags under my eyes and dirt and scratches covering it.

Thankfully, the servant arrived only a few moments later and we set about to getting the dirt and filth scrubbed off me.

So... do you think Ariadne will stay out of trouble now? >:)

Also, DOUBLE UPDATE. Yay!

Ariadne - Ithildae