Chapter XXXII

Chapter XXXII

Lycus

Had I been a slave my whole life? Well, yeah. "Yes," I answered simply.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said in a small voice.

I just shrugged. "Hey, maybe it's better that I've been a slave my whole life. I've never tasted freedom and thus, don't know what I'm missing. Or even if I'm missing anything," I said, mainly to make her feel less awkward. It was a lie. I desperately wanted to be free. 

Our conversation, if you could call it a conversation, was interrupted, however, by a guard ordering us to get up and get our work done.

Ariadne looked surprised, as if she expected some more respite after a beating like that. I stood up slowly, my legs very stiff after being still for so long. My whole body was stiff and I could barely move, but I had to. Ariadne had to too, and I could tell she was trying. I offered my hand to her again, and she took it without hesitation this time. I helped her up and we parted ways to go do our duties.

The rest of the day was misery. I got a slightly lighter load than usual, but it was still hard. I fell onto my bedroll at the end of the day and instantly fell asleep.

It must've been the middle of the night, when I woke up to the noise of someone lurking near where I was sleeping. I lay in tense silence, waiting for the person to reveal themselves.

"Lycus?" I heard Ariadne whisper into the darkness.

I relaxed instantly, but was still confused. What was she doing here in the middle of the night?
"What?" I whispered back gruffly.

I heard some more scuffling as she tried to find her way to me in the dark. I felt a hand tap my face, and assumed that was her. I took the hand away from my face. "I'm right here," I whispered to her.

"Oh, there you are. I thought I'd never find you," she said with some sarcasm.

"Yeah, right," I said, not laughing. "What's your purpose for seeking me out during the midnight hours?"

"I-I just needed someone to talk to," she replied.

I raised an eyebrow, but of course she couldn't see it in the dark. "To what do I owe this great honor?" I said sarcastically.

"Don't be so sarcastic. You've no idea how hard it is being separated from your mother and having your city attacked and you have to run away to avoid capture," she said, sounding slightly hurt.

"I'd like to argue with the 'separated from your mother' part, but the rest I fear I can't empathize with," I said cynically.

"You lost your mother?" Her voice sounded sorrowed.

"Yes, but that was a long time ago," I said shortly, not wanting to reveal more of a painful past, "I hope you didn't interrupt my much needed sleep just for a heart-felt conversation."

She was silent for a bit. "Well, yes, actually, I did," She said rather ashamed sounding.

"Oh, well, I'm already awake anyways, so you might as well continue." I shrugged it off.

"Well, alright," She said rather timidly.

So here's an early update for you all simply because. Guys, this story has jumped up to be ranked #77 in the WORLD for all historical fiction books on Wattpad! And it wouldn't have happened without all of you!! So thank you thank you thank you!! From the bottom of GadSul ( GadSul ) and my heart ( Ithildaeforever ) we want to thank you!!

Also, GadSul I feel like this could have been a legit conversation between us. Not the words, but the way the characters say them. You being cynical, I'm sarcastic, lol.

GadSul - Lycus