Chapter LXXVI

Chapter LXXVI

Ariadne

Naturally waking up to a comfortable bed and quiet room, safe and sound, was a feeling I never thought I'd feel again. But here I was, waking up in a soft bed, all tucked in and sleepy like the events of the past weeks had never happened. But they had, hadn't they? And now I was homeless, motherless, and a princess without a kingdom.

Mother. She was gone... I saw her face everywhere. She haunted me, although last night I didn't dream of her as I had on the wagon. But every time I saw her, it was like she really was there. Although I knew she wasn't.

My stomach lurched, and I let out a quiet sob, rolling onto my side. I hit the edge of the bed and looked down at the floor. The room was simply furnished with only a bedside table, dresser, and the bed I was on. But it was better than anything I had been in since the palace. And although that was "nicer," it was not somewhere I'd ever want to be again. I would take this simple farm house room over that palace room any day.

A soft knock on the door caused me to sit up and lean against the wall. The door opened a second later and Geratious entered, holding several things in his hands. He smiled faintly and approached the bed as I smoothed back the covers and started to get up.

Geratious held up a head, stopping me. "No need to get up." I relaxed back into the bed and bit my lip.

"How are you feeling, dear? Did you sleep well?"

I nodded. "Yes, thank you. I'm quite well."

"Indeed," Geratious smiled ruefully. "But after what you've been through I didn't think you would be 'quite well'." He handed me a cup of water which I took and swallowed in several gulps. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was until the cool water soothed my throat.

"Any wounds that need cleaning?"

"No, but Lycus does. Can you help him first? His leg--"

"Not to worry, dear. I've already taken care of him. He's awake out in the courtyard, getting some air."

At his words, I smiled. I was glad he had helped Lycus before me. Everything Lycus had gone through was my fault, and knowing that he was helped made me feel better. I know it was selfish to think like that, but guilt threatened to drag me down. And I couldn't let it.