Chapter LXI

Chapter LXI

Lycus

Why?! I screamed inwardly. Why did this have to happen to me? What had I done? I just helped a princess escape. Was that so terrible? Did I really deserve this?

I'd snubbed the most powerful empire on the planet. That was all. It wasn't that bad; I'd just helped someone escape from slavery. So why did everything have to hurt so bad?

I clenched my teeth and groaned. Why was life so unfair?

I thought I heard some more voices and listened in. It distracted me from the pain.

"... Nothing, there's nothing left. The Persians looted and burned everything," Ariadne said; her voice had a slight edge to it.

As far as I could tell, Caesar didn't answer for a few moments. Finally, he said, "Alright, enough for today. Take them both to the dungeon."

I felt myself being dragged away, to the dungeons I assumed. Good. They'd leave me in my cell and leave me alone.

It was a long and painful journey, but at last, I was lying at rest back in my cell. After a few more painful shifts, I was in a comfortable position. I was ready to black out at this point, but a soft cough alerted me to the presence of someone else in the cell. I opened my eyes and beheld Ariadne standing in the middle of the room, looking around warily.

"Ariadne?" I grunted. I was confused as to why she was here.

Her gaze darted to me. "Lycus," she gasped and dashed to my side, kneeling on the hard ground. She took one of my hands in hers. "You look terrible, are you alright?" She asked. I could see tears filling her big brown eyes.

I drew in a breath and closed my eyes. "Remember that beating we got a few days ago? Multiply it by ten. There's your answer," I said tersely.

I heard her breath catch.

I felt a little bad for speaking in a harsh tone to her, but at the same time, I felt too miserable to be civil.

Well they survived the interrogation! That's good at least....

Lycus - GadSul