Chapter L

Chapter L

Ariadne

I tightened my grip on Lycus' hand, frozen. Lycus started to take a step back, but the man saw what he was doing and grabbed the front of his tunic, keeping Lycus in place.

"Ariadne, run!" Lycus shouted, letting go of my hand. I scrambled backwards, fear pulsing through my veins. Then I turned around and ran.

"Stop her!" I heard Drusus shout from behind me, but I didn't stop. As much as it pained me to leave Lycus, I knew I couldn't save my mother if I were caught as well.

I scurried around the crowd of people as I heard the sound of pursuing feet behind me. I had to be quick, or I wouldn't make it.

I reached the entrance to a narrow alleyway and took a moment to glance back. Lycus was on the ground face first, Drusus' boot resting on his back. I gasped, all my resolve to run fading away at the sight. How could I run when he would have to take the fall for my mistakes?

The soldiers caught up to me and grasped onto my arms, dragging me back to where Drusus and Lycus were. I didn't struggle much, feeling hopeless. It had been a trap, and we had fallen right into it.

"Caught the little runaway, eh?" Drusus grinned as the soldiers pulled me in front of him. He leaned forward and grasped my chin between his rough hands. "What a pretty little thing."

I wrenched my face out of his grip and spit at him. "How dare you touch me!" I growled, "I am a princess of Thebes and you have no right--"

Drusus grabbed a fistful of my hair, yanking on it and causing me to yelp. "Shut it. I don't care who you are. You're a prisoner of Rome and that's all that matters."

"Leave her alone!" Lycus yelled from behind Drusus where two soldiers were holding him secure. One of them hit him on the side of the head for speaking out.

Drusus turned away from me and towards Lycus, much to my dismay. "I wouldn't be talking if I were you, slave. But I guess they were right. You are in love," he said the word love with such disgust, such disdain, that I almost gagged alongside him. Love? That was a lie. How could anyone say such things?

Oh no... poor Lycus and Ariadne are in a thick spot now 😖

Ariadne - Ithildae