Chapter V

Chapter V

Ariadne

I ducked behind a brick wall of a house as the Persian troops passed by, holding my breath in. It had been going on in this way for a several hours into the night. After finding Lairos' body that they had dumped somewhere and barely keeping it together, I had been desperately trying to get out of this village. But each time I thought I was safe, I almost ran into the Persians again. Clearly, they hadn't given up on looking for me.

I breathed a sigh of relief when they had passed and I was safe once more. I slipped around the house and continued on. It didn't take but a couple more minutes before I reached the edge of the village. The sun was just beginning to rise, revealing that I had been on the run for quite some time without much rest.

After readjusting my cloak and dress, I continued my trek back towards Thebes. I knew when I arrived if my mother was alright she would scold me, but I didn't have anywhere else to go. And I had to see if she was alive and well.

I ignored the ache in my legs as I kept up my brisk pace. I was sweaty, dirty, and exhausted, but the fear of what I would find in Thebes kept me going. I had to know.

At last, I arrived at the city gates. I easily entered, the wall ruined in many places and the whole city in turmoil. The battle appeared to be done, but it didn't look like we had won. Perhaps we had kept the city, but there were too many dead to call it a victory, at least in my eyes.

I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear and made the last trek to the palace. When I reached it, I stopped it my tracks. It was still smoldering in the dim light, illuminating the wreck that those horrible soldiers had created. A tear trailed down my cheek and I reached up a hand to wipe it away. It was ruined. My home was ruined.

A faint group of voices approaching forced me to move on and push my emotions away for the time being. There would a time and place for mourning later. I had to focus.

I searched through the wreck of my home, avoiding everyone as I did so. As I left each room, the dread in my stomach grew. Where was she?

In one particular room, a voice stopped me in my tracks.

"What do you think you are doing?" The person demanded from behind me.

I swung around to see Daria, my servant girl, standing there. Upon seeing my face, she gasped and after a few seconds, bowed her head.

"My princess, I had no idea it was you." She closed the gap between us. "What... what are you doing here? They told me you had left the city. Why have you returned?" She asked in a rush.

"I... I came back to find my mother. Do you know where she is?"

Daria didn't answer right away. When she did, her voice was quiet. "Princess... your mother was taken by the Persians."

It didn't even make sense in my mind right away. She had been taken?

"How?" I whispered.

"I am not sure. But that is what I was told. I am so sorry."

I couldn't breath. I couldn't think. I couldn't speak. I sank to the dusty floor of the room, unable to hold myself up any longer. It couldn't be true. It just... couldn't.

"I believe they planned to sell her in Rome," Daria added quietly.

My gaze snapped upward to meet hers. "In Rome?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Do you know the way?"

"Perhaps..." she said slowly, "But only because I traveled through there with my previous master."

"Daria," I said urgently, rising back to my feet, "Tell me all you know. Please."

Hi! Welcome back to the fifth chapter of the story. Don't forget to vote or comment if you enjoyed it! Thank you!

Ariadne - Ithildae