Chapter XXXVIII

Chapter XXXVIII

Lycus

"You still want to carry this out?" Varus asked me.

We were standing right outside the door to the place where Ariadne was.

I gulped, but nodded. I wasn't going to back down now. I took the keys from him and inserted one into the lock. Varus left, not wanting to get caught, leaving me alone in the dark passageway. I tried a few keys before finding the right one, getting more nervous by the second.

The door creaked terribly as I opened it, and I only opened it as wide as I had to to get inside. I heard the sound of sobbing and headed towards it, sure it was Ariadne. It was and I started trying to find the right one for her cell.

"W-Who's there?" A quailing voice asked.

"Shh, it's me, Lycus. Now shush or you'll attract unwanted attention," I whispered in reply.

"Lycus?" She whispered, "You came. Why?" She asked.

"Don't ask. I don't know. Now keep quiet or my attempt might fail and then where will we be?" I asked rhetorically.

I heard another sob, but it didn't have the same tone as the previous ones. It sounded... happy?

I got inside her cell and quickly finished with her shackles before laying them gently against the wall, flinching when I heard one of them clatter.

"Alright, you're free. Now follow me, I know a way out," I said and started for the door. I reached it, but she wasn't with me. "Ariadne?" I called back, as loud as I dared. I could barely see in the darkness, but I thought I saw her struggling to stand. I sighed and went back for her. She must still be weak from the beating.

I helped her stand and we made our way to the door, slipping back out. As a precaution, I closed the door so nothing would seem out of place to anyone walking by. We made a slow, painstaking journey to the garden, my heart stopping every time I heard someone nearby, thudding at the fear of encountering anyone. My throat was dry and I questioned myself multiple times whether I should just give up, but I'd come too far and I'd have to see it through.

We reached the garden and I breathed a little easier, but we weren't out of the woods yet. I located the magnolia and saw the orange flowers on the bush beside it. I knelt down beside it, hoping that Varus hadn't lied and set us up. I peered behind the bush and searched for anything that looked like a secret door. 

"Lycus," Ariadne whispered, "what are you doing?"

"Trying to find a secret door that leads out," I replied.

"Oh," was all she said in reply.

I reached through the bush, feeling along the stone wall, until I felt wood. There was a secret door.

Will they escape? Or will they be caught in the act?? O.O Comment what you think!

Lycus - GadSul