Chapter XI

Chapter XI

Ariadne

I only hesitated on the ground for a moment before getting to my feet. I was almost giddy with relief. I wasn't going to get in trouble for my mistake. But the whole ordeal certainly had been an eye-opened for me. I was a princess, and as such I had never been treated that way before in my entire life. It was hard to believe that many people lived this way, and were treated like that by people like Lycus who didn't seem to care about them at all. It was horrible, really, and made me wish I had the power to do something about it.

Realizing I was still standing in front of the door, I hurriedly backed away before turning and running in the opposite direction, passing other buildings and fields as I ran. I didn't stop, even when I tripped several times in the hem of my dress, the shock of the event only just starting to hit me.

Finally, my energy had run out and I had no choice but to find someplace to rest. Thankfully, I spotted flickering lights in the distance before me, providing more light in the fading horizon. I slowed my pace and made my way towards what I assumed to be a town. I still didn't know where exactly I was, so I kept it in the back of my mind to be careful and not draw attention to myself like I had done only a couple of hours earlier.

As I arrived at the small town, I spotted a well a couple of yards in what seemed to be a town square of sorts. I approached it cautiously, keeping my mind wary of others around me. Thankfully, there were not many people milling about at this time of evening so I reached the well without any disturbance.
I withdrew the bucket, filled with fresh water, and scooped my hands eagerly inside it, drinking in a most uncouth way. But I was quite parched and once again couldn't be bothered with the right way to do it.

Right after drinking, I shuffled off of the main square and looked for some place to sleep. While I was looking about for some place to stay out of the elements, someone approached me. It was a rowdy looking person with greasy, unkempt hair and a mean face.

He smiled down at me and placed his hand on my shoulder, "Well, well, well. What is such a pretty thing like you doing out in the streets at night?"

I would have pushed his hand off my shoulder, but I was frozen with fear. I couldn't move, nor answer him.

He lifted the back of his hand and brushed it against my cheek. "Such a pretty thing I'm sure, beneath all that grime. Now, why don't you come with me and I'll get you nice and cleaned up."

I finally managed to loose my tongue and answer. "No, I--I must be going now. My master is expecting me."

He grin deepened and he chuckled in a menacing way, "Oh really? Somehow I doubt that." Slowly I became aware of his grip tightening on my shoulder to the point of pain.

Uh oh! Ariadne's in more trouble already!

Ariadne - Ithildae