Chapter IV

Chapter IV

Lycus

I stood to the side of the side doors of the trinicula, awaiting my master's cue to send the next course of food in. I sighed. It was rather boring just standing here, watching the aristocrat friends of my master sitting on the couches, standing about the room, either in conversation, consuming the delicacies that Horus had prepared earlier, or both.

My gaze turned back to my master just in time to see him gesture to me. I took a step into the door and ordered some other slaves to go clear the trays and others to bring in the next course. That taken care of, I resumed my place by the side doors.

Another few minutes passed. I saw my master beckon me to his side. "Lycus, keep an eye on Olympia, will you? She's been acting rather brazen of late," he said, referring to his younger daughter. I nodded and returned to the door. I looked over to where Olympia was reclining on a couch, flirting with two young men. Inwardly, I shook my head with disgust. The gods knew that girl needed looking after.

The evening dragged on. One by one, the guests departed, leaving us to the cleanup. I went down to the kitchens to make sure the slaves responsible for washing the dishes weren't scrubbing too hard on the silver platters. I made my way through the bustle and buzz of the kitchen, and as everything was in order, started to head back, when I heard Horus call to me.

"Lycus! There you are." He said, making his way through the busy room.

I paused in my steps and waited for Horus to reach me.

"Fine party tonight, eh? But a party isn't a party without excellent cuisine, of I do say so myself." He puffed out his broad chest.

I laughed, "Indeed, you did just fine. I would say a kind word about the food, but I fear I didn't get to taste it."

"Whaddya mean you didn't taste it?" Horus exclaimed. "I saw you take a bite from something at the master's table."

I put on an expression of mock surprise, "You don't mean that that barely stomachable food was of your making?"

Horus tried to cuff me on the side of the head, but I dodged out of the way.

"If it was barely stomachable, then why ever did you pronounce it fit for the master's table?" Horus said, indignation clear in his big voice.

"Merely jesting, Horus, merely jesting," I said with a smile, and started towards the exit again.

I heard Horus laugh behind me. "I could do without you jests, you rascal." And he returned to his work.

I chuckled as I continued towards the Bibliotheca where the master was. As I approached, I heard voices. I slowed my pace and quieted my steps. It was the master and his wife talking. Most Roman husbands didn't value their wives intellectually, but my master was different. He and his wife would sometimes stay up half the night discussing things. I assumed that was what they were doing now.

"They were really so bold as to attack a Greek city like that?" I heard my mistress's soft voice.
"Indeed, my dear." My master replied.

So, a Greek city was attacked. I wondered who had done the attacking, but I guessed I would find out later.

Hey there! We hope you're enjoying our story! Let us know what you think in the comments and we'll see you next time!

Lycus - GadSul