Chapter XLIV

Chapter XLIV

Lycus

"So, Lycus, what are you doing in this great city? Is the Master visiting it again?" Vania asked, sipping some tea from her cup.

I sighed, not sure how to begin the crazy story. "Well, Master is dead," I started, and saw Vania's eyebrows rise, but just continued, "and I was sold to another Master in Rome, and I came across Ariadne," I gestured to her sitting by me, "and we escaped, and--" Vania cut me off.

"Woah now, slow down. Who's your friend, and why don't you explain everything a little more fully. My senses have dulled and I'm not the sharp and pert thing I once was," she said in a scolding tone. "I've never known you to be irrational, so I'm going to assume you have a good reason for all that you've done."

I sighed again. I glanced over to Ariadne, who was nodding off. I wasn't sure if I could reveal that she was a princess or not, or whatever. I knew Vania was trustworthy; she had been a slave on Master's land until she was freed by the mistress, but I didn't know if she was trustworthy enough. I started the story again, in more detail, and decided to take a risk and tell Vania Ariadne's true identity. Vania's reaction was surprise, of course, and a little indignation. Then, of course, more questions. I had to brush some off, and wasn't sure how to answer others.

When it seemed Vania had finally quenched her curiosity, she sat back. "Well, you have had quite the adventure," she said a bit breathlessly.

I just nodded. I was more tired than ever now, and Ariadne was resting her head against my shoulder, dozing off.

"And such an adventure would no doubt leave you quite tuckered out," She said, rising from her seat on the mat. "I've got some accommodations for you two, but friend to you though I be, I'd rather not be accused of harboring escaped slaves."

I nodded, "I understand. We'll be out and away next morning," I said as she laid out two more mats on the ground near the hearth.

"If you need anything, I'll be right upstairs, and if anyone knocks, just ignore it." She climbed the ladder to her room. "I'll see you in the morning," she called down.

There was silence down where we were for a moment or two, just me collecting my thoughts. Finally, I shook Ariadne slightly, and she roused just enough for me to lead her to her mat, upon which she immediately laid down and went right to sleep.

I sat on my own mat, but didn't sleep yet. I wanted to have some semblance of a plan before giving in to slumber, but I simply couldn't make my tired mind work and at last gave up, lying down and letting sleep take over.

Merry Christmas, all you lovely readers! I realize it's been a while since you got an update... and I do apologize. Finals got me like... 😵

Anyways, since it's the holiday season, here's a gift from us to you: three updates in a row! Enjoy :)

Lycus - GadSul