Chapter LXXIII

Chapter LXXIII

Lycus

The pain in my leg had faded to a dull, but terrible, throbbing that only flared up when the wagon we were in jolted or bumped; which was far too often. Being buried under a lot of hay didn't help much either. There was a blanket between us and the hay, but it was still dark and suffocating. By the silence from outside of the cart, I guessed we were outside of the city, but it could also be that my senses were that dull, or the hay could also have muffled them.

A groan almost escaped my lips, but I was able to cut it off. My senses might have been dulled by the pain, but not so dull as to ruin any chances of escape while we still might be in the city. Ah yes. Escape. As far as I knew, that's what was happening.

Could it really be that simple? Just slip away quietly? If we did escape, then what would happen then? I was in no condition at all to travel, and I also had no idea where we were going. Perhaps... Oh, my mind was too tired and dulled by blood loss to think clearly or deeply at all. It was quite aggravating.

The wagon bumped and jostled along the road. Every little movement hurt. It was a very unfun circumstance. I wondered if we were out of the city yet or if our destination even lay outside the city. I also wondered if Ariadne was awake or asleep. I couldn't imagine sleeping on the hard surface, plus all the bumping, so I assumed the former.

I heard a muffled cry next me from Ariadne. So she was awake. I thought I also heard her sniffling, but I couldn't be sure. Well, considering the recent events, all the bad and hard stuff she'd just gone through, I supposed I could be sure that she was sniffling after all.

"Hey, Ariadne, are we out of the city yet?" I dared to ask. My throat was terribly sore and the words came out as more of a croak.

I heard silence from her side of the wagon, then a small voice, "What?"

I didn't want to speak again and repeat the question, but I did. I cleared my throat, which seemed to do more harm than good, and asked again, "Are we out of the city?"

"Umm, I don't know," Came her quavering response.

Hmm. Just as well. We'd probably find out soon enough where we were, for after a while, the wagon clattered to a stop.