Chapter X

Chapter X

Lycus

"Master, I found this ragamuffin stealing from us." I said, shoving Ariadne forward.

Master's gaze surveyed the girl. His frown deepened. "What's your name, girl?" He asked gruffly.

"A--Ariadne, " She stuttered out.

"You know the consequences of stealing," It was part question, part statement.

"Yes," she said weakly.

I felt a tinge of pity for her. Oh no... No, I can't feel pity for her, she's a thief, caught red-handed!

Master looked at the girl again. By his expression, he probably made the same assumption I did. A runaway something or other.

"Tell me, Ariadne, where did you get your fine clothes? And you didn't find that anklet lying on the roadside." Master said.

She looked at a loss for words.

Master turned to me, "What story did she tell you?"

I answered, "She told me she'd gotten lost in the woods while on an excursion with her master and mistress."

"Hmm, what did she steal?" Master asked.
"A few honey cakes," I answered.

The master's eyes widened and he sputtered, "You brought her before me just because she stole a few honey cakes?"

I was actually surprised. "Well, yes," I said, starting to feel rather ashamed.

"Well, there's no harm in losing a couple honey cakes, and certainly no reason to interrupt my pleasant afternoon. You can escort the girl off the property and return to your duties," Master said, now rather upset.

"Yes, my lord." I said and bowed. I took a firm hold and took her out of the room.

I couldn't believe it. It was awfully anticlimactic, but that wasn't what really bothered me. I had gotten in trouble for taking a thief to the master because she hadn't stolen anything important. She'd stolen, hadn't she? That alone was deserving of punishment. I sighed frustratedly. I wanted to be mad at her, for not stealing something of enough importance, or for stealing at all, but for some reason, I just couldn't be really angry at her, which made me mad at myself.

I wasn't getting anything done with my thoughts so I took a firmer grip on her arm and sighed frustratedly again. I heard her gasp in pain at my harsher grip, but I didn't loosen it.
We reached the back door from whence we came, and I shoved her out of it. She stumbled and fell to the ground before looking back up at me. Her eyes showed her fear.

"Get off this property and don't even think about coming back," I said tersely.  

I shut the door firmly, and started back up the passageways.

This day wasn't going the way I had wanted it to, but I was just a slave so I really had no say in the matter. I was there to serve my master's every whim and fancy. This frustrated me more than I could say. What made me different? Why should I have to serve them and not the other way around? Just because I was born in the lower class? Life wasn't fair.

Hey, lovelies! Here's a double update just because you're wonderful! (And because I haven't updated in a while...)

Lycus - GadSul