Chapter LXIV

Chapter LXIV

Ariadne

I felt much better now that Lycus had forgiven me. I truly hadn't meant to hurt him and it only made it worse when he was angry at me. I was angry at myself too and couldn't seem to do anything right. It didn't seem to matter what my intentions were; I was the cause of so much trouble.

We sat together in silence, and it was nice. We didn't have to say anything.

But after a while, I heard a sound coming from outside the cell, like the clanking of metal upon metal. Then footsteps. Heavy footsteps neared the cell.

I locked eyes with Lycus, his own stare mimicking my fear. Whatever was coming couldn't be good; that much I knew for sure.

The key to the door was inserted in the lock and it clicked, the door swinging open. A tall, hairy man in a soldier's uniform stood at the door. His golden brown beard was neatly trimmed and his eyes almost looked friendly.

But that couldn't be, because surely no one in this place could be anything but awful.

"Up," the man said, his voice gruff and thick with a curious accent. I rose to my feet a bit unsteadily, but my gaze went to Lycus.

"He can't stand..." I said uncertainly.

Lycus kept his head down as he struggled to rise to his feet. I approached him and gripped his right arm, trying to help him get up. I hoped the soldier would give him a chance before he decided to punish Lycus.

The soldier watched for one more moment before stomping over to us. He pushed me out of the way and grabbed Lycus' arm, yanking him to his feet. A faint cry escaped Lycus' lips as he stumbled onto his wounded leg, sending a crack through my heart.

I boldly stepped up and pushed the soldier back. "Leave him alone," I ordered. "He's been through quite enough." I prepared myself for the slap that would surely come.

Only, after a second or so of nothing, I became confused. I looked up at the soldier. His face was startled, but not angry.

Instead of retaliating, the soldier grabbed Lycus' arm again. "We need to go. Now move."

"No," I hissed. "Indeed, can you not let us rest after such an ordeal? Can you not see he is close to death?" My voice rose steadily, anger making its way to the surface.

Once again, the soldier didn't do anything. He gave me a look, but I couldn't quite decipher what it meant. Why he didn't get angry was beyond me. But if it kept him from hurting Lycus then I would be just fine with it.

"What is going on here, soldier?" A deep, stone like voice echoed from the edge of the cell door. A dark clothed soldier, clearly a high ranking one, stood there. And he did not look happy at all.

O.O so much for being left alone...

Ariadne - Ithildae