Chapter LXII

Chapter LXII

Ariadne

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, bowing my head. I didn't know what to say. Guilt threatened to swallow me whole, and I knew I deserved it all. I wanted to make it all better, but I didn't know how.

Lycus let out a scratchy breath and leaned back against the cold wall. His breath hitched as his back touched the stone wall and he leaned forward again. I shifted to the left so I could see his back.

But then I wished I hadn't moved. I pressed a hand against my mouth, trying to keep the bile down. I couldn't even describe it, except that it was so... bloody. And...

A sob escaped my throat, followed by another. Tears built up and spilt over the edge of my eyes. I backed away from Lycus and crawled to the corner of the cell, rubbing my arms and trying not to think of anything. I couldn't let myself panic. I couldn't.

Don't... don't, don't... I chanted over and over in my mind, wishing I could make it a reality.

Lycus groaned from across the damp cell, and I lifted my head, remembering him suddenly. He shifted positions, clearly in pain.

"Is there anything I can do?" I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"No," he snapped, breaking into a coughing fit, his whole body shaking.

I bit my lip. "Lycus--"

"Don't," he grit out. "Just... don't."

I took in a shaky breath and crawled back over to Lycus. "Maybe I can help you find a more comfortable position," I offered, hoping I could at least help with that.

"Just... leave me alone," he sighed.

"I want to help," I said, scooting closer to him. I laid a hand on his leg gently, worried I'd hurt him. "Please--" Lycus jerked away from my touch before I could finish what I was saying.

His movement startled me and I reached out my hands to steady myself, feeling like I was going to fall over. I leaned forward, my hands out, and before I could stop myself, I hit Lycus' injured leg.

O.O my goodness. All the angst right here peeps.

Ariadne - Ithildae