Chapter 31. Painful Memories

Marika's POV

I woke up to the sound of a voice.

"Hey . . ." A knock from the door followed.

I realized I was still in the same position as last night. Did I fall asleep while sitting? I stood up and heard my bones crack due to the uncomfortable situation. Damn, my whole body hurts like hell, I shouldn't have slept like that.

"Are you dead or what?" I heard Billy sigh on the other side of the door. I reluctantly walk over but stopped when I caught sight of myself on the mirror of a table that looks so victorian, there's even a bunch of make-up kits on it. Weird.

I hurriedly walked over to it and stared at my tear-stained face and unruly hair. I raked my hair with the comb on the dresser and wiped my face with the sleeve of my hoodie.

Billy started knocking louder than before which made me run for the door and open it. He looked annoyed, as usual. I noticed he was holding a tray of food.

"Move over." He muttered as he went in the room, Billy sat on the floor and placed the tray in front of him as I stood there awkwardly, "Well?" He looked at me as if expecting something.

"What . . ?" My voice was hoarse and dry.

"Dad told me to eat breakfast here with you since you probably don't want to be around a lot of people yet." He gave an exasperated sigh. "But he said to keep watch on you, just in case you might do something regrettable."

Do something regrettable? Are they thinking that I'll commit suicide!?

"I'm not going to do 'something regrettable', I wasn't even thinking about that!" I defended as I shut the door and furiously walked over to him.

"Not my words so stop yelling at me." He rolled his eyes, "Just eat so I can leave." He picked up the two bowls of soup and handed the other to me. I hesitantly took it and and ate a spoonful, awkward . . .

"Thanks . . ." I mumbled. He just gave me a nod,

Things stayed like that for a while until I couldn't take the silence anymore, it was just too awkward.

"So . . ." I started which caught his attention, "Who's room is this?" I asked, the room just looks so astonishing but it's obvious that it's a girl's room, the furniture inside looks victorian. It's old-fashioned but incredibly cool.

"My sister's." Billy dubiously replied.

"You have a sister?"

"I used to . . ." Billy gave a disappointed face.

"Used to? You mean . . ." I mumbled as I slowly realize what he's saying.

"She died five years ago." Billy turned quiet. Now I feel bad.

"Sorry . . ." I averted my eyes and looked around the room. I wonder how'd she die? Curiosity is kicking up. I stared at Billy, he looks really sad. I shouldn't have brought the topic up but how would I even know that his sister died?

My thoughts disappeared when Billy smacked my head.

"What the heck!?" I rubbed the sore spot.

"Stop looking at me like that, I don't need your pity!" He fumed.

"Well, sorry. I just felt bad!" I snapped back.

We finished our breakfast in silence after that. I placed my bowl on the tray and admired the room, I wonder how his sister died? Her room looks great, how old is she when she passed away?

I couldn't stand my curiosity anymore and asked, "Hey . . . H-How did she . . . um . . ?" I stumbled on my words.

He sighed, "Her name's Rebecca. She's two years older than me but we're pretty close, she died of cancer when I was ten."