Chapter 40. The Funeral

『Please read the A/N at the end :D 』

Five Days Later . . .

Here I am, wearing a black, plain, long-sleeved dress that reached my knees. Tears are streaming down my face like a waterfall as I watch a coffin being lowered down a deep black hole.

It's Kevin's funeral, I hear all my distant relatives' mourning as they stare at the coffin. Unsurprisingly, I don't know the half of them, I was never the type to socialize.

The coffin was lowered until I saw nothing but the dark anymore, Kathleen was being held by Wilfred as she cries on his shoulder, the same goes for Karen and Kyle.

It's amazing how many people were here, the weather was freezing yet they came. Kevin's a good guy, you can tell because of all the people that came. Figures, he's very friendly and helpful, I can understand why they like him.

But now, he's gone. It's up to all of us how we can preserve the memories we've made with him. A part of me wants to forget him, like how I did with my family- erasing all the bittersweet memories, But even if I did, I can't.

And I won't.

Kevin was the one who's there for me when I needed someone, he helped me get over my past. He was the reason why I am who I am now, I couldn't have gotten this far without him. Now I'm alone by myself again. This time, it's all up to me.

People started leaving, crying as they did so. Some talked to me with teary eyes, feeling sorry about me. It made me more disappointed and depressed.

"Marika . . ." I heard Kathleen's voice behind me.

I turned around and she gently hugged me, "We're going." She mumbled.

I nodded, "Goodbye, I-I'll stay here for a bit." I said in a quiet tone.

She let go of me and walked back to Wilfred, Karen came and hugged me as well, saying goodbye as she did so.

Today is the day they go back to their homes, maybe try to live normal again. To be honest, I was relieved, not because I didn't wanna be with them but because they'll be away from Jeff. Karen wanted me to come but of course, I rejected her offer. There are a lot of reasons why, mainly because I was a danger to them because of Jeff and because my life is in here, I can't just leave.

I softly waved goodbye to them as they walk to their car, they look so sad . . . I want to come with them but I really shouldn't. I've caused them too much trouble already, I couldn't help but blame myself, I know they'll say it wasn't my fault but they don't know the whole story. If Kevin married a different woman, then maybe he would still be alive.

I sighed as I walked, I sat on a snow-covered bench and thought about a lot of stuff, my mind was running with 'what if's' and sadness. I wish there was a reset button or the existence of time traveling.

Why on earth would things like this happen to me? I'm starting to think that I'm the unluckiest person in the world but maybe I'm not. But still, why me?

I wanted a normal life, I thought I could have that but Jeff completely ruined it. I grew up without parents nor love, I was abused and treated like shit. Kevin changed all of that but again, he was taken from me.

I chuckled, God really despises me. First my family then the only person who understood me. Why?

I sighed and stared at the graying sky, tears continued to roll down my face as I remembered all the times I've spent with Kevin and a few bits and pieces of my childhood with my family.