Chapter 47. Guilt

"Billy is dead." James said in desperation as he made his way inside my house in total panic.

I yawned as I shut the door, "What are you talking about?" It's too early to joke. God, I'm sleepy, I wonder what time I slept. It's pretty late, I got to caught up with the photos.

"ーLast night." James stared at me with wide eyes.

"Huh?" I mumbled, "Sorry, I wasn't listening."

Suddenly he grabbed my shoulders and shook me for a bit, "Billy was murdered last night by the same person who killed your family and your husband!" He shouted.

James shaking me made me snap awake, "What?" I said with wide eyes.

"He's dead. Oh, God." James let go of me and sat on the couch, he pressed his face on both of his hands in hopelessness. "I saw it."

I stood in shock with my mouth agape as I process what he just said. Billy- No, he couldn't have died, he couldn't . . .

"He can't be dead." I said as I walk up towards James, my voice shaking with fear, "I just talked to him last night. He's not dead!" I added with my hands in a tight fist.

"Billy's dead, I saw him with my own eyes!" James retorted.

My shoulders dropped, "H-How . . . Why?" That was all I could muster up and say as I realized it was true.

"I don't know." James said through gritted teeth, "If only I stayed with him, he was already wounded!" He pounded on the table in front of him, "God, I'm so stupid!"

I don't even know what to say, I only met Billy a few days ago, I don't remember if I had anything to do with him. But the whole time I was confused and troubled, he was the one that helped eased all of that and now he's suddenly gone, killed by the same guy who murdered my family.

"Who is he?" I said in a low voice, anger and sadness running throughout me, "Who the hell did this."

"It's a murderer on the loose for a whole thirteen years." James said with a scowl on his face while he stared at the ground in pure anger, "He never stops killing people, he's been to other parts of the US before. Everyday he would murder and murder people, you can never miss a homicide on the news." James glared, "Now, that fucking killer decided to visit this part of the country and even killed your husband and Billy."

"W-What killer?" I asked, preventing my voice from shaking but failing to do so, "Why does he kill?"

"He's a psycho, a maniac." James glowered as he glanced at me, "Billy was stabbed repeatedly, like most of his other victims." He said with a venomous tone, "You better keep a lookout."

I sat down on the couch across James, tears welling up in my eyes, "I can't believe this." I said in mixed emotions, "Who is this killer? What does he look like?" I asked.

"Witnesses said that he uses a knife to kill and he has a smileー"

James stopped when his phone started ringing, he took it from his pocket and answered it. James talked on the phone with guilt and anger plastered on his face. After just a few exchange of words, he ended the call.

"I'm sorry, I have to go." James hastily stood up and headed for the door, his face hardened into a scowl.

"Wait." I called out as he opened the door, "James, don't blame yourself, this isn't your fault." I said with a sorrowful gaze and a sincere voice.

James' glare softened into a look of despair before he sighed, "Thanks . . ." He muttered and left.

As soon as he left, I let the tears I'm holding back to stream down my face. I can't believe this, Billy was fine yesterday, we were talking normally. I didn't expect that it would be our last time talking to each other. I didn't even thanked him properly for all the things he'd done for me even though he said we were just plain acquaintances before.