Chapter 57. It's Over

Marika's POV

Two days.

It's been two fucking days and I could barely rest at all, Kathleen and Wilfred were being a pain and keeps telling me to 'Go to sleep.' every single time I try to start a little conversation. Goddamnit, I've had enough of that phrase! I can't relax no matter how hard I try.

It's all over the news. Ace still hasn't been found-which means he's dead-and questions are already overflowing the media. There were interviews with Ace's fellow detectives whom he teamed up with and of course, they know nothing about his whereabouts. I feel bad for being grateful that he's still missing, but I have other things to worry about. No one can know about that night.

After days of debating with the righteous me and my more selfish self, I've decided to run away from these incidents. Yeah, I'm horrible for doing that, it's really low of me but I want to live my life properly, I'm not going to get locked up behind bars, ever. I've had enough of living a dull and shitty life, I want to be free from suspicions. I think even I deserve to be happy, and I'll do what I can to make the best of it.

Sure, I have the fortune, my life is completely better than people who are suffering but things aren't the same when you're alone, it's torture. You have it all but you have no one to share it with . . . It's depressing. That's why I want to at least experience happiness again, it's why I want to avoid these problems or maybe even stop them for good by not being suspected.

If I could, I would go back in time and stop all these from happening, I never wanted to hurt Ace, much less take his life. But it's all in the past now, Ace's death wasn't in vain either because I'm going to make sure that Jeff will stop murdering people. He doesn't like killing people, it wasn't him . . . I just know it, and I'll do whatever it takes to help him stop, it's the least I could do for Ace.

I know doing that won't compensate for killing him, I'm doing this to finish what he started and that is to prevent anymore homicides from happening, it's also to help Jeff go back to the way he was if he wants to.

Whatever, even if he doesn't want to change back to himself, he has to. That's the reason I'm here now, I'll help him . . . Words can't express how awful I feel for being the reason that Ace died but I couldn't let him kill Jeff. He's important to me, I can't watch another person I care about die. I don't want to lose anyone again.

I glanced at Kathleen and Wilfred who are fast asleep while sitting on the chairs in front of me. I wish I could just tell Kathleen that I have to leave and that I'm anxious because I killed a cop that just wanted to kill a murderer who also killed my family and her brother, but obviously, I can't-which is why I'm going to escape tonight. It will give me a lot of advantage too, if I leave now, nobody can come and interrogate me about what happened and why I was shot or anything, I won't have to lie.

I cautiously sat up, the pain in my chest had already receded after long hours of doing nothing but lay in bed. My gaze fell on the bag which Kathleen brought along with her. Yesterday, I asked her to go to my house and grab my change of clothes, just in case it'll be time for me to be discharged. Since she wasn't doing anything in this hospital either, she gladly agreed. Now my only problem is to check and see what kind of clothes she brought, it'd better be suitable for my condition. Heck, my foot had a cast around it, it's difficult to move it around.

Sighing, I placed my feet down on the cold ground and started removing the little pipes and tubes that're placed under my skin. A small amount of blood started oozing from the wound, dang. I have no idea what I'm doing . . . but I can't ask for anyone's help at the moment.

I looked around the end tables. Fortunately, there was a box of gauze and a roll of tape beside it. I gently placed the gauze on my wound and taped it firmly, it's not that important but it's still a wound so what the heck.