Chapter 50. Concern

〔Cheers to 50th Chapter〕

"Jeff . . ." I muttered as I stared at him with serious eyes, "Are you my brother?"

He stiffened, "What?" He removed his gaze from the knife and looked up at me.

"Answer me." I demanded.

He shook his head, "N-No." Jeff replied with an alarmed look. Figures, he just woke up and I'm already asking a weird question . . . or maybe it's because he's hiding something.

"Are you certain?" I said with doubt and crossed my arms.

Jeff sucked in a breath and his usual calm demeanor replaced his uneasy self, "Why are you asking this?" He monotonously said with a serious gaze that matched mine, "Did you remember something?" His voice showed graveness.

I gave a loud sigh and sat beside him with a huff, "Yeah, I did." I growled, "It was you, saying you're my brother with that knife." I said, pointing at the knife on the floor, I turned to face him with a humorless stare, "Are you hiding something from me?"

Jeff looked surprised and anxious when he heard what I said before he let out an obviously forced laugh, "Don't be ridiculous, why would I hide something from a girl with amnesia?" He gave his usual grin but something seems off.

I averted my gaze and stared at the knife, hoping to gain more information or memory flashes but sadly, nothing showed up. Jeff reluctantly picked the knife up and kept it in his pocket.

"Why do you even have a kitchen knife with you?" I suspected. I would understand if it was a pocket knife but . . . Really? A kitchen knife? Something's wrong.

"For protection . . ." Jeff looked down as he answered.

"Why not bring a small knife instead?" I questioned, "Surely, it's troublesome to bring a big knife, right?"

Jeff was silent for a few seconds, he was thinking hard about something I could never guess. He turned to look at me with a solemn look on his face, "This knife is something special."

"What do you-"

"It was given to me by a friend who died a long time ago, it's a memento. Therefore, I always keep it with me." Jeff assured, his voice and actions becoming steady and sure.

"But I know what I remembered, it was you and you clearly said that you're my bro-"

"Of course, as your roommate, we've had times like that. Times when we were joking around, talking nonsense." Jeff cut me off mid-sentence, again, "Why on earth would I hide being related to you?"

"But-"

"Even I don't remember myself saying that, we were probably messing around. It's best not to jump into any conclusions." Jeff prevented me from saying anything.

"Huh . . ." I furrowed my brows in confusion, "You said you're my brother with such a serious look."

"Brother?" Jeff chuckled, "We look nothing alike."

"Well, I have black hair, you have black hair." I pointed out, "Besides, you had an accident . . ."

"So what? Are you saying we're related to every other people with black hair?" Jeff rolled his unblinking eyes, "I don't have a family." He blankly said, not a hint of emotion was heard in his voice. He doesn't?

Actually, what he said made a lot of sense, as usual. That memory could've meant something else, maybe a joke or something similar to that, I wouldn't know. But what if he's hiding something from me? I trust him, he just saved my life last night, there's no doubt that he cares. Still, a part of me has suspicions. Even though the way he said everything was filled with certainty and no hesitation, something seems weird. I just can't tell why, it's like I feel it in my guts. What he said could be the truth, or he could be good at making up stories and lying. I wish he's being honest.