Chapter 55. It Ends Tonight

The atmosphere was tense as I sat on the floor and hugged my knees, just watching the two of them. Ace gave Jeff a deadly glare, his scowl didn't falter as he studied the killer he's been after for so long. Ace's hand made it's way under his coat, my eyes went wide as he pulled out a gun and pointed it at Jeff's direction.

Jeff made a run towards the back in a speed of light, I let out a scream when Ace fired the first bullet and missed Jeff by a hair. Ace took out another-but smaller-gun and threw it towards me, "Marika, protect yourself!" He shouted as I clumsily caught the gun in my hands. He chased Jeff out of the house, I heard a series of gunshots that gradually disappeared as they grew farther away from the house. I immediately dropped the gun in fear of hurting myself. What the hell just happened?

He's going to kill Jeff. I know he won't stop until he does, but . . . I don't want Jeff to die.

I grabbed a fistful of my hair and tugged on it as I buried my face on my knees and cried my eyes out in confusion and hatred, I fucking hate myself. How can I still care about him after all the things he did? Not only to me but to our family and everyone else he murdered, he doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy, he doesn't even deserve to live!

Yet I, the person who suffered the most, still somehow want him to be alright, I . . . I want everything to be the way they were when I still had amnesia because that's the only time when things seemed normal and . . . that's the time when I really felt happy, and it's all because of Jeff.

But he was lying the whole time, he tricked me and I was foolishly deceived. I mindlessly believed him without even giving it a second thought, I relied on him too much. What hurts the most is the betrayal, because I trusted him. But even though things are like that, I couldn't bring myself to hate him anymore.

I leaned my head on the wall with tear-streaked face and stared at the nothingness, dying would be so much better than getting played with.

What is Jeff's motive? Why did he do this to me? When I met him after all the years I thought he died, he said he wanted me to suffer, he messed with me. But in the end, it's almost like he actually cared about me. The whole time I had amnesia, he never left my side, he made me smile and he protected me. Now that the truth is out, my memories are back and I found out how evil he truly is, I should want him dead more than anything else, but I don't.

I've fallen for him . . . No matter how much I want to hate him, I couldn't.

'I never wanted this.'

He looked so solemn and . . . sincere when he said those words but after all he did, I don't know if I can believe him anymore. I wonder if he's telling the truth or it was just another one of his lies. If what he said was true, then it means all this time, he's been enduring all these alone. The guilt of killing thousands of people, especially our family, he'll blame himself even though he didn't want things to go this way. Just the thought of that makes my heart pang.

Whatever the truth is, there's one thing I know, I'm not gonna let Jeff get killed or caught. Killer or not, I don't care, the short time we've spent must've meant something to him too. This is the most absurd thing I'll ever do.

With shaking hands, I grabbed the gun and hid it under my jacket. I ran towards the opened back door and scanned for them but I know I couldn't chase after them anymore, they're already too far away.

An idea popped into my head, my neighbor . . .

I wasted no time and dashed out the front door, not bothering to close it. I sprinted towards the quaint house across mine, noticing the dark clouds covering the sky. There's a couple that lives there and they used to help me around household problems and cleaning when I ask them, although the reason they help is kinda like they were intimidated.