Chapter 73. Truthful Lies

Marika's POV

beep . . . beep . . . beep . . .

I slowly opened my eyes to a noise, above me was a bright light, causing me to hiss as it burns my eyes. I looked around to find the source of the sound and realized it was a machine beside the bed. Muddled, I leaned and immediately felt a pain on my head. What the hell happened?

I heard someone clear their throat and just noticed I wasn't alone in the room, "You're awake."

I craned my neck to see Detective Andrews sitting on a chair at the end of the room. I see his shoulder and arm wrapped around with bandages.

That's when things came flooding back in my mind. Oh shit, it's not over yet until I come up with a good lie.

"W-What happened?" I asked, buying myself some time. How am I supposed to tell a good lie when I didn't even have the chance to think about it since someone decided to knock me unconscious.

"We found you near the city bridge, unconscious." He answered, "I was going to debrief you, but you should rest for now." He added.

"Alri-" I stopped.

Jeff . . . What happened to him? I was supposed to meet him at the warehouse. Not only that, he's in a bad shape, he could've bleed to death for all I know! I need to leave, and fast.

"How long was I out?" I asked, looking out the window and seeing it was dark.

"Only for a few hours, maybe four. You should really rest, it's been a long night." He muttered quietly. I ignored his advice and sat up, "Careful," he exclaimed, "You're not supposed to-"

"I'm fine." I cut him off, "My head hurts and I'm tired, but I'm fine." I repeated, "I think you and I both know how many times I've been in a hospital and how short my stays are no matter what injury . . ." I mumbled.

"Right . . . So, um," He cleared his throat and averted his gaze, "I want to apologize for mistaking you as one of the killers." He said in shame.

I paused for a moment, "You were just doing your job, I guess . . ." I nodded at him. Well, this is a little awkward. I can't believe Jeff's plan actually worked. I'm not being suspected anymore. That's a huge relief for me because I really thought I would become a wanted criminal and be forced to go into hiding, and I seriously don't want a life like that.

"Well . . . I suppose you have questions you want to ask." Andrews said, looking at me.

"Okay, uh . . ." This is it, I have to pretend like I actually have no idea what happened, though I'm pretty confident that I can pull this off, I'm used to it because of Jeff, after all. "You found me near the bridge, right?" I asked, looking confused.

"Yeah, but that man-the murderer was nowhere to be found." He shook his head.

I gasped, "The killer, h-he's dead." I feigned shock.

"What?" He perked up.

"He fell off the cliff, I saw him!" I exclaimed.

"What happened?" He asked, "Ma'am, please tell the whole story. Why did he even take you there? Furthermore, why hadn't he killed you knowing full well he can?" Detective Andrews bombarded me with questions, the look of curiosity in his eyes, "What's the real story?"

I kept quiet for a moment and thought about my words. If I have the chance to end everything here, in this conversation, I need to make the best of it. Everything, including Jeff's existence and all those murders will be put to rest.

I pieced every word and sentence I was going to say, if I'm going to do this, I need to include all the things that happened from the day Kevin died. One mistake and he'll be doubting me again. I wasn't going to include my childhood though, I'm not even going to tell him that Jeff and I are related. No way, that will just complicate things more.