Chapter 71. A Conflict

Jeff and I sat on the couch, we stayed in the same spot for a while, both lost in our own thoughts. It's the type of silence which is neither comfortable nor irksome. Still, we just sat there. The energy to stand up and rid the basement from it's bloody floor seemed to disappear and was replaced by total idleness.

Just as I was thinking about getting up, Jeff beat me to it, "I'm gonna get some fresh air." He muttered as he stood.

I watched his back as he walked towards the back door-which we now seemingly consider the front door. I didn't say a thing as he left, I feel somewhat lifeless.

Shaking my head, I got up and headed for the basement, hoping to finally finish cleaning the basement. It won't be good if someone other than us saw it.

Just before I grab the doorknob, I heard a door slamming open, I thought it must've been Jeff, but no. The color on my face drained as I realized that the noise came from the front door, and almost after, set of footsteps began rampaging inside the house.

I turned to see one, two-there were a lot of them.

Men in police uniforms and a certain detective came armed and alert. As soon as the detective-Andrews, was it?-As soon as he saw me, he strode towards me while taking a pair of handcuffs from his coat before grabbing my arm and cuffing me, "You're coming with us."

"What's going on!?" I shouted, seeing if pretending to be innocent would work.

"You know very well what's going on!" He snapped back before roughly pulling me alongside him, "Check every room! Gather every evidence you can get!" Andrews ordered the policemen and people that looked liked investigators as he dragged me outside.

I looked back, hoping that Jeff won't decide to come back and be seen. Thankfully, he hasn't, not yet.

What's happening?

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

"I would never hurt anybody!" I shouted, defending myself.

I was in an interrogation room, yet again. They suspect me now . . . especially after seeing the basement, all covered in blood. I don't think I can escape this now, it's was all too obvious, it's like nothing could convince them. But I'm not going to admit anything, no way . . .

"Two figures," Detective Andrews-who won't be tolerating my so-called innocence-yelled in anger, "Two figures who just left crime scene were seen heading to your house. Not only that, you have resemblances with one of the suspects."

. . . Jane?

"Here," He slide a bunch of photos towards me, "This . . . this monstrosity was found in your home. What the hell do you expect us to think?" I can sense him trying to contain his anger, though he was failing.

I hastily looked at the photos. It's what I'm afraid of. They saw the basement, this information is now being used against me. No matter how much I try to think of a way out of this, it's was too late. not only that, I was told they even caught a glimpse of Jane a few times back . . . and our similar black hair is very off-putting. The more evidence they found, the more I looked like the murderer, which I'm not.

"I-It wasn't me." I pleaded, "I have nothing to do with this!"

"The day Myers went missing, he was heading to your place." He said in a low voice, glaring at me, "He said he will 'check' up on you, make sure you're okay. Now tell me, why didn't he return? What could've happened?" He chuckled, "What did you do to him?" He stared coldly at me.

I was at loss for a moment. He even brought Ace up, where is he getting all these information?

"I don't know." I said with a serious voice, "He went and visited me, just as you said. Then he left."