CH:14 Paranormal & Paranoia

Listen to Confidently Lost by Sabrina Claudio

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Chapter 14

"Ian?" I questioned audibly my eyebrows raised.

"After all we've been through, that's all I get?" I asked again curious to know more about him.

He chortled. "A name is a very personal thing...Shay," he exaggerated my name.

"See?" He gazed forward again knowing he'd made his point. His chestnut hair that was tied in a man bun whipped up and down. I tried so hard to resist the urge to touch it.

Okay. Sometimes when I zone out I tend to overstep other people's personal space so when I came back to planet earth I was rolling his silky hair around my finger. "Oh shucks. Sorry, you probably have to get use to me doing weird things like that," I slouched back down looking out the window embarrassed as ever.

"I use conditioner by the way, you should try it some time,"He glanced towards me laughing again.

"Oh shut up," I teased back patting down my frizzy hair. "So um...what did Ryder mean by you being the prodigal son?"

"I didn't realise I was being interviewed for the school paper."

"How'd you know I-" turning to face him again.

"Was the chief editor? I read your article last week, it was really something but before you say I'm trying to change the topic, I'll answer your question."

Sitting up straighter I leaned my elbow against the dashboard smiling up at him. "Well go ahead."

"So Nancy Drew, my family is kind of screwed up. My dad married Ryder's mom about 5 years ago and since then I chose to stay with mine. But Ryder's grandparents the value of family was important so they always tried to include me in everything, they made me feel like I was apart of the family. I don't mean to brag, but I was always at the top of my class,receiving numerous scholarships for sports,I knew what I wanted in life and everyone was proud of me. Whereas Ryder was always floating in his bubble of troubles. And everyone just thought of him as a disappointment. That's kind of the reason why we don't get along much. But Ryder though,his life before we met ....let's just say it was a much worse scenario than mine. Which is why he is the way he is I guess-"

"How could it have possibly been worse than your parents separating?" I interrupted.

"Look Shay, it's not my story to tell. But just a heads up, he's been through alotta rough times and he's someone you wouldn't wanna associate yourself with." He pulled into my street easily.

"Trust me. I have no intention of doing so," I replied but was still curious so I needed to shoot more questions before our trip ended.

"I don't mean to be rude or anything but-"

"Why'd our whole blended messed up family pack up and leave our lavish lives to come settle down in a quiet little  town?" He finished my sentence.

"Pretty much."

"There's no way of getting out of this question either right?"