CH 47: Pageant Pony & The Missing Pendant

Chapter 47

Listen to Saturday Nights by Khalid & Kane Brown

The security footage started rolling. The time stamp showed 9:00pm, dating to a couple days back. At first, it was just a few cars and then a familiar one passed the security camera giving a clear view of the vehicle. To which I instantly recognized as Ryder's, and the driver was what left me shook. The person wore  a large black hoodie and a
mask of Aunt Tess that looked like an exact replica of the one in the art room.

Could it be? The fact that I even considered it to be him in the drivers seat made me question my sanity. All I knew was that I could trust no one at this point,not even the people that I'd grown closest to.

The door handle shook lightly before Morgan popped his head in startling me. I closed my laptop suddenly.

"What were you watching?" He eyed me suspiciously, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

"Fan edits of young Leo Dicaprio, he was a real stud. What's up?"I turned, trying to put up a quick facade so he'd believe me.

Stretching his arms he leaned back making himself comfortable. "Okay I'm just gonna cut to it," he rifled his hands through his raven black hair, unbottening his tuxedo jacket.

"Mum sent me in here because she doesn't know if you forgot but the pageants tonight and she wants me to persuade you to go....but I know you're not in the mood so I'm not gonna force you-"

I totally spaced about that but oppose to staying at home moping around, finding answers at the town house would be a better choice. "Why wouldn't I not go?"

He looked stunned,raising his eyebrows. "Um...because you hate these type of social gatherings where young women are treated like show ponies. Your words exactly...and besides that, you've been through a lot lately,"he stated bluntly a bit sentient.

"True but what's life without a few risks?" I shrugged my shoulders trying to appear eager.

"Yeah, you've been doing alot of that lately. Stupid,careless risks..." Morgan mumbled, throwing a cushion in the air. "She also said that you'll have a better chance of winning with Abbie all battered and bruised from the accident," he chuckled, standing up.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes. Of course, that would be mother's mentality.

"Well, mom's already there setting up so you got an hour to get ready. I'll be waiting downstairs for you beauty queen," he joked, doing a curtsey out the door.

"I'll be down in 30, my chauffeur," I dismissed him with a wave of my nails.

He did a little bow before heading out.

"Hey Morgan!  I forgot to mention it till now but I'm sorry you and Amber didn't work out," I shot him a small smile. In all honesty, I wasn't sorry. Not even slightly.

He popped his head back in giving me an appreciative smile. "I'm not. She just made things more clear for me."

Errkay. Now what could that possibly mean?

Grabbing my phone off the dresser, I quickly texted Marcus if he could fill in as my escort since I couldn't think of anyone else. Well, besides my neighbour ,who wouldn't have shown up since I've been ghosting him the whole week. Hopping into the shower, I came out in a flurry noticing a familiar blue Cinderella dress placed on my bed with a note. The exact same dress that I fell in love with at the mall. The glittery sequins and diamonds sparkled at the neckline making me adore it even more.