CH 46: Crazy Assumptions & Trust Issues

Listen to Burn Slow by Jaira Burns

Chapter 46

"This wasn't just a coincidence," Marcus started off in a hushed tone looking around at the crowd with a worried expression.

My face and shoulders grew tense, my brain whirling.

"You were meant to be in that car! Were you supposed to be driving?" Danny asked in exasperation.

I nodded my head slowly, goosebumps erupting all over my skin. Jay joined the group, rushing over, her eyes filled with shock.

"Shay! You weren't in the car with B? Is she okay?" She touched my cheeks and then looked around for Abbie but the ambulance was already long gone.

She then proceeded to maneuvering her way to the police officers who were trying to determine the cause of the accident while taking down statements from witnesses that were in the car park.

"We should head to the hospital to check on Abbie, her parents are probably out of town so she'll need someone there when she wakes up," Lia smacked her lips taking charge as the rest of us were still trying to process what just occurred.

Nodding in agreement, we all pick up our bag packs that lay on the grass where we stood, silently, we turn to our cars.

Sheriff Fields appeared infront of me leaving no escape.

"Ms Taylor, you've been through a helluva lot this week. I'm sure you heard about your attacker we found dead this morning. I just wanted to assure you that we're doing everything we can to get to the bottom of it," he told me firmly.

I forced an appreciative smile so he'd think I believed him.

"Unfortunately, no one saw the culprit who messed with Abbie Henderson's vehicle."

"I'm sorry,this wasn't an accident?" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Yes,her breaks were tampered with. Luckily she swerved into the tree otherwise she'd have gone straight out onto the highway. God knows, how much worse that would've been. You wouldn't happen to know anything more about this, would you? Was there anyone targeting her? A student, perhaps?"

What would be the point of telling him when it wouldn't make any difference or give him leads with the investigation. I decided to act coy and clueless.

"No idea. If you don't mind, my friends and I are in a rush to the hospital but I'll let you know if I can think of anyone," I stepped out of his path, getting into the back passenger seat of Marcus's car.

"What did my dad want?" He asked after a few minutes of silence as he drove.

"Just asked a few questions," I replied continuing to gaze out the window.

Lia, sat beside him, fervently texting on her phone. After, breathing out a loud sigh she sat back in her seat. "The girls from the cheer team will visit B tonight when she's conscious."

"Guys..." I drawled out. "It wasn't an accident, the same person whose been marking me, tampered with Abbie's breaks, probably thinking that I'd be driving," I said shaking my head, my voice wavering.

Lia gasped and Marcus punched the steering wheel making me shake in fright. "Goddamnit! I feel so helpless. We have to strike back," He murmured.

"I'm meant to be in the hospital. I was meant to die today,I'm not safe anywhere,anymore," I whispered out, hot tears streaming down my face.