CH 40: Tears by the Lake & Watchers in the Woods

Listen to Strangers by Sigrid// Bad Luck by Khalid

Chapter 40

He gave a long hard stare clenching his jaw which he usually did when he was beyond furious. I was afraid a fight would break out.

He surprised me by looking away, settling back into his composed and cool self. He was really good at acting like he didn't give a damn. That made me feel even worse. First was with Marcus, now his brother. He must think I'm some type of skanky hoe.

Hardly anyone knew about the fling going on between Ryder and I which is why no one really reacted after we took our seats.
Except for Marcus and Zach who looked at me with genuine disappointment.

After that, Ryder chose to make me invisible not even sparing a glance as he cracked jokes with a drunk and disorderly Bryce who had his arm slung round his shoulder.

Trust Ryder to be best buddies with literally every male in the school even though he barely attends any classes.

He looked even better without his leather jacket, wearing just a camo sweater with the sleeves rolled up showing off his impressive arms. His hair was tousled messily but looked perfect nevertheless.

Snap out of it Shay! You should be thinking of ways to get yourself out of this mess.

"My turn," Abbie said loudly to catch everyones attention. Twisting the beer bottle by its neck and adjusting her tight dress to make her boobs appear larger if that were even possible. Ryder however continued with his greetings, pumping fists with all the guys and shooting his charming smile at some girls who waved his way.

"Wow. The cupid gods are certainly in her favour tonight," Lia whistled lowly tapping my knee.

Breaking my gaze away from the notorious bad boy I glanced down at the bottle which was angled in a way where no one was sitting but where Ryder was standing, casually talking to Danny who just exited the gameroom.

"Well, this certainly feels like beach house dejavu," Abbie spoke in a sultry voice getting up and extending her hand, flipping her blonde hair back.

This was crazy! She probably did some voodoo spell on that bottle!

I'm sure he wasn't even playing so of course he'd decline, right?

Wrong.

He licked his lips and rolled his eyes slowly. "What the hell, right?" He chuckled deeply saying to everyone in the room.

They all cheered holding their cups up high. He took her hand as she walked ahead of him, purposefully making his palm rest on her butt.

I don't know what got into me but I stood up abruptly. He gave me a fleeting look of guilt. Abbie quickly shut the door leaving me to stare at the white painted wood.

"Shay? Honey, are you okay?" Lia asked grabbing my hand since I was still standing and gaping at the closed door. Everyone stared at me oddly.

I felt the tears begin to well up in my eyes. It was undescribable, but I got a nauseating feeling mixed with a turmoil of despair.

Covering my mouth to stop myself from whimpering, I walked out of the crowded room, wiping my tear stained eyes.

I always caught feelings easily. But it hurt this time around. Like a stab to the heart. I knew exactly how he must've felt upon seeing me walk out with Ian. If he even had feelings towards me anymore. This was payback and it hurt like a bitch.

Pushing past the familiar faces that were dancing on the lawn, I continued running to find a secluded place. Heaving to catch my breath, I sat at a wooden bench that was right near the murky lake.

The house wasn't in great view because of the tall canopy of pine trees leaving me far away from everyone and everything.

"Damn it! Why am I still crying?" I said outloud to myself, wiping harshly at the tears that flowed from my eyes. Picking up a few  flat pebbles and heavy rocks, I skipped them on the water to release my anger and sadness.

I heard some rustling in the woods making my adrenaline spark.

"Ian?" I questioned turning my head around. No one was there.

There were more rustling noises and crunching of decayed leaves meaning someone was approaching.

"Marcus, I'm fine. I just need some space," I sighed heavily turning back to the lake, leaning back assuming it was him.

I heard heavy grunts of breathing from behind but before I had time to react a piece of rope was clasped around my neck. It was being pulled tighter as I clawed at it. I choked and could feel my head going dizzy when all circulation of air was slowly being cut off.

"Young girls should never wander alone," his cigarette filled breath spoke near my ear before he let out a cruel laugh.

An image of my Aunt Tessa's face gasping for air the same way I was fleeted through my mind. I was stronger than this and couldn't go down this way.

Kicking my legs in the air and twisting my body from side to side didn't affect his tight hold. Feeling around on the bench I picked up a large rock. Holding it tightly, I swung with all my might onto the side of his face.

He fell back yelping in pain releasing me. I pulled the rope off my neck, coughing and spurting trying to regain oxygen as I fell onto my knees.

"You're gonna regret that," he said angrily stumbling towards me pulling out the same pocket knife the person had in the maze.

Looking out to the woods I continuously yelled for help hoping someone would hear me over the blaring music. The person stepped out of the shadows and into the light making me gasp and shiver with extreme terror.

The man was largely built and wore a replica mask of Aunt Tessa's face.

"You're the man from the maze..." I shuddered. "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" I demanded but he continued to creep closer.

I thrashed my legs forward screaming but he got a hold of them both. He snarled when I threw some soil from my palm. Feeling helpless there was nothing else I could do when he lifted me from my throat pinning me roughly against the tree.

I started crying loudly, waiting for a blow of pain to hit me.

My vision was blurred from lack of oxygen but I saw two distinct figures running from the direction of the house towards me.

I prayed that I wasn't hallucinating. Minutes later my vision went pitch black and I fell unconscious.

"Could this be the end?" Was my last questioning thought.