CH 43: Suicidal Prisoners & Calling Truce

Listen to Consideration by Rihanna/ Wild Love by James Bay

Chapter 43

I didn't go to school for a few days since the doctor prescribed strict bed rest. Ryder visited daily trying to cheer me up. I wasn't quite confident in leaving the solace of my room but I never deterred from doing my homework that Jay brought over.

It was the only thing that managed to distract me. And thinking about Ryder's abs occasionally.

I'd missed some of Morgan's football matches. He'd fill me in on everything that happened but would leave immediately when ever my mother appeared into the room.

They were both stubborn as hell. So neither of them were planning on making peace anytime soon.

Also, I wasn't needed at the police station since the sheriff was making good progress on uncovering the guys identity. I slept soundly knowing he was behind bars but the idea that someone was still trying to harm me lingered like a nightmare.

I decided to go to school when I'd gotten fed up of Franny treating me like an invalid. Getting dressed, I threw on a large hoodie and my hair in a messy bun. I made my way downstairs. My parents sat at the table munching on toast and coffee both their attention focused in on the local paper with intense stares.

"What made front page that's so intriguing?" I interrupted startling my parents, plucking a pear out of the fruit bowl.

"You're going to school," my mother stated with a surprised look changing the topic.

"Yeah. Is that alright?" I drawled out after swallowing slowly. I watched my father fumble with the paper, folding it in half tucking it away.

They both shot each other concerned looks.

"Did you guys hear?" Morgan practically tripped down the staircase with his phone in hand pushing his wet hair out of his face frantically.

"Hear what?" I asked interested.

My mother sighed heavily shooting Morgan a death glare. Grabbing the newspaper from my dad's hand she threw it in view.

'PRISONER COMMITS SUICIDE IN LOCAL POLICE STATION' were printed in bold.

I gasped covering my hand from disbelief. Regaining my composure I looked at each of them. "He's d-dead...This should be a good thing, right?"

"The media is ruling it as a suicide to keep the public calm but I used my contacts and got a hold of the coroner's report....He was murdered Shay. In his cell," my mother stood up to comfort me as I staggered back.

"But that could mean anything. Maybe he was a drug dealer in trouble or...or a thug," I weaved my hands through my curls as I tried to find an explanation.

"I hate to say this, but it could have also been entirely connected to you," Morgan placed his hand softly on my shoulder.

"Morgan's right, sweetheart. We can't take any risks. We've arranged a police car that will be patrolled outside the house-" my mother explained.

"Don't you think school is safer?!" I interrupted. The thought of some psychopath hiding up in our attic this very moment made me deranged.

"She does have a point, mom. And I'll keep an eye out for her," Morgan extended his hand trying to persuade her.

"Because you did such a good job of looking after her at that party," mom mumbled shutting him up.

"You can go," dad stated standing up and grabbing his briefcase.