CH 41: Knights in Shining Armor & Mending Relationships

Listen to Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato

Chapter 41

My eyes fluttered open when the smell of antiseptic hit my nostrils waking me up instantly.

I was greeted with a throbbing migraine and a paramedic looming over me with an oxygen mask slowly removing it realizing I gained consciousness.

Sitting up on my elbows, I took in my surroundings. I was still at the lake house but there were a few police cars with their red and blue lights flashing against the trees.The paramedic's lips were moving slowly but I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying.

Zoning in on her, she stood infront of me with a calmed expression placing antibiotic pills in my hand with a glass of water which I chugged eagerly.

"Ms Taylor, you're fine for now but I'd recommend that we take you to the hospital for a regular check up-"

I rubbed my temples as my headache slowly ebbed away. "No, no that's fine. I'll go with my parents instead."

She nodded her head reluctantly moving out of my view. Standing a few feet infront of me was a distraught Jay who was balling her eyes out, crying onto Marcus's shoulder.

"Who died?" I asked drowsily, sitting up straight and tossing the blanket aside.

She turned her head before her face filled with pure relief. "SHAY, HONEY I'M SO SORRY, I'M A TERRIBLE BEST FRIEND FOR NOT LOOKING OUT FOR YOU-" she sobbed incoherently, pulling me into a bear crushing hug.

"Yes, you are," I agreed just to make her feel bad. Wincing at my sore muscles she pulled away.

"Hey, at least we got matching bruises?" She laughed nervously.

I gave her a dry look. "Too soon?" She chuckled awkwardly.

Marcus and I nodded our heads making her look down in embarrassment.

"The plan didn't work out how we wanted it to...." I scrunched my face in thought realizing how my life could have ended tonight.

"As opposed to you getting sliced to bits? I prefer this outcome," Jay said with wide eyes.

"Yeah, they caught the guy so it's all gonna be alright now," he said embracing me from the side trying to be comforting.

"They've taken him down to the station for further questioning and to find out where he'd gotten that mask," he explained while we watched a police car drive off and I could only catch a glimpse of the back of his head.

"Thank you," I told him with sincerity.

"It wasn't just me. If Ryder and Ian hadn't made it in time, who knows what would have happened to you..." he trailed off looking back.

Standing up, I saw crowds of kids from school who were scattering or being charged for underage drinking and use of drugs. Bryce held fistfuls of his hair in frustration while a cop scolded him. The party was a whirlwind of fun and games before it came to an abrupt and crazy end.

Then I saw my knight's in shining armor. The brothers stood side by side giving in their full report to a policewoman who was scribing down all the details.

Ryder's green eyes caught my own. I excused myself from Jay and Marcus and approached the two of them after the cop walked off.

"Are you okay?" Ian worriedly asked, stepping ahead before I could reach Ryder. Peaking behind his shoulder, he tossed me a small smile before looking down and walking off to his car.