CH 1: Unhappy & Undecided

The Risk To Love
All Rights Reserved©

Listen to Can't Get Enough by Basenji

Chapter 1

The long awaited day finally arrived. You guessed right. The first day of school also known as: hellhole. I started screeching like a cat, when the sunlight hit my vision blinding me.

"But I don't wanna go," I wailed flailing my arms in the air to hit whoever intruded my beauty sleep that I was comfortably enjoying.

"Rise and shine saliva face. You've got a big day ahead of you," a deep voice chuckled while ruffling my bed hair. I groaned inwardly into the pillow hoping that would send him an audible message.

Of course. Only my older brother, Morgan would find satisfaction in ruining the dawn of a new day.

Morgan, formally reffered to as moron was my only other sibling who was a year older than me. And yes. A definite pain in the butt.

You must be wondering what this so called Big Day is.

I had finally peaked in my life. Senior year. Cue the applause of me being able to make it this far in life. I couldn't wait for high school to be over and done with so I could finally pursue my real passion and be rid of this small town and its scarring memories that would always be latched onto me somehow.

I turned to face him with a blank expression who was grinning mischievously at me for some unknown reason.

"Good morning dear brother," I cooed the words syllable by syllable in front of his face.

"This is why you don't have a boyfriend. Your morning breath smells like a dead corpse." He backed away viciously gagging and clipping his nose clearly disgusted with my unusual feminine ways. I didn't know what that smelt like but it must have been grotesque.

"You're too kind," I rolled out of bed pushing my thick wavy brunette locks aside.

Sarcasm is the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it and is known to be one of my best traits.

"Works every time," I thought aloud to myself. Trudging to the bathroom I skidded to a halt in front of the mirror. Plastered all over my face were red dots that undoubtedly resembled chicken pox. Turning around slowly I shook my tiny fist with all the malice I could muster.

"AAAARRRRGGHHH! When I get my hands on y-you little piece of-" and with that he was already bolting out the door.

Groaning for the second time that morning, I took a bath, brushed my teeth and wore my usual conservative outfit which consisted of skinnys with a tank top and a blazer. Standing out was not a goal this year. I just wanted to get through it without having to deal with any drama.

Psh. Like that was ever gonna happen. It was nice to wish though.

By the grace of soap and facial wash I managed to scrub off the red dots. Rubbing on some lip balm I ended by slipping on my favorite pendant necklace.It was my most precious possession because of the previous owner. The piece of jewelry held so much significance and was another reminder of her existence. Shaking the memories out of my head I managed a smile even though it didn't quite reach my core.

Only positive thoughts Shay.

After finishing off with a morning twerk to hype myself or if you would have seen me it would have looked like a chicken trying to lay an egg while having a seizure which is my brothers detailed description of my awful dancing skills.

We all can't be talented like the Kardashians. Sarcasm intended.

I rubbed the scars soothingly on my wrists which would always be a permanent mark reminding me of the dark reality that I'd lived through.

But I came out stronger. This year was gonna be different. I'd make sure of it. It had been about a year and a half since the incident and mostly everyone had moved on from it finding other latest town gossip. Now my family and I could live our life's normally without any pity looks or hushed whispers we'd get in the supermarket or at the town house.

Grabbing my things, I  headed downstairs suppressing the urge to not slide down the railings.

'A perfect young lady should not condone such behavior' my mother's words rang in my ears. She even warned me when I licked the inside of an oreo!

But I was groomed into being a copy of someone else. Someone they'd prefer.

"Why so red Shay?" Morgan glanced up clearly amused with the pun he just created while crunching on his cereal.

"Hardy har har," I spoke out through gritted teeth hoping he would choke on his breakfast.

"Morning children," my parents greeted the two of us while descending down the large marble stairs about to leave to their local firm. Without a family breakfast. Which we only did when there was a visitor or it was the weekend. Something else we'd gotten use to overtime.

To begin with the formal introductions.

My family was a normal, average one in case you haven't noticed. We were wealthy and our family name held a great reputation in our town since we were one of the founding families. For generations my families career always lead to law. We owned the largest and most well known; Taylor Law Firm in the state. So obviously I was expected to become a lawyer even though that's not what I truly desired. My parents top priority was raising their children to being the branded version of how they actually wanted us to turn out.

Mainly me.

I was a straight A student which is why I skipped a grade when I was younger and much to my brothers dismay we were both seniors this year. Thank goodness my parents asked if we could be in separate classes for the whole semester till we left school otherwise all hell would break loose on a daily basis.

I also discovered a talent and became very passionate towards painting and creative art as it was the only way I knew how to express myself and what I could always found solace in from the materialistic things that were constantly surrounding me.

I shared the idea of pursuing art with my parents but clearly they shot it down with a blunt NO saying that it was a far reach and most artists ended up becoming hippies or in rehab. Which was very stereotypical of them might I add.

My parents travelled on a weekly basis to visit their clients within or out of the country but they wanted us to stay in Langston town because they mentioned that we should always stay close to our roots. It was where most of my family lived for generations and where we had been raised from childhood.

Basically they didn't want us becoming cloned stuck up teenagers who have no concern for others.

My family always tried to appear perfect to the public despite the incident. The media was heavily compensated when the articles and stories were well buried until eventually most people forgot. So no one ever assumed my life was terrible. They considered my brother and I blessed even.

Through continuous therapy and medication everyone assumed I had been fixed.

After all the events that had occurred last year we were finally in a good place where we could live our lives normally.

Where I could try and move on.

We were wealthy. Secured. Owned a luxurious home with no pending mortgage. Inherited lots of land. No divorce or family problems. No secrets or lies. Anyone would have considered my life blissful.

Yet why was I so unhappy?

But what I didn't know was that all of that was gonna change soon and most probably could be my undoing or my rebirth.

--------------------------

A/N:
Helurrr everyone! You all deserve a cookie for taking the time out of your eventful lives to consider reading this book. NO REALLY. I'M SO HAPPY SO PLEASE CONTINUE READING AND DON'T GET DISTRACTED BY THIS AESTHETIC NOTE.

Read on guys.

Emma x