CH 24: Broken Boundaries & Party Poopers

Listen to Golden by Kiiara

Chapter 24

Saturday mornings.

The mere thought of it made me squeal in excitement knowing that I didn't have to get up for school or anything else for that matter. I loved them so much I had dreams of me having dreams while lazily rolling around in the comfort of my sheets and the worst type of bed hair imaginable.

However, today was gonna be a drastic change to my usual schedule.

My goal: Avoiding my father.

Getting up at 6:30 am I felt like my body weighed a ton while I struggled to toss myself out of the sheets after I hit snooze several times already.

I legit cried while conditioning my hair because of how early it was. Throwing on a colourful conservative outfit I toweled my hair and left it in its soft stringy state.

I needed to drop half of my portfolio with one of the committee members early so she'd be able to submit and notify me whether I should send more. So I flipped the flying saucer out when I received a text saying that my date was extended for my whole portfolio to be sent at once.

"Gee...your timing couldn't be any worse," I said to myself sighing as I stood leaning against my open door fully dressed with my big bag in hand about to leave.

"You ready kiddo?" I heard my father's voice echo. Peeping out the corridor I saw him approaching me still adjusting his tie with a big smile on his face.

Well, at least I was gonna make him happy.

"Yup. That's why I woke up extra early this morning just to spend time with you," I slowly kicked my bags behind the door hoping he wouldn't detect sarcasm in my response.

"That's my girl, I'll be waiting in the car." He saluted at me walking in the direction of the garage.

Verbally swearing under my breath I trudged after him with arms folded and eyebrows furrowed.

***

"Cheryl? Can I go home now?" I whined leaning back in the office chair giving her my best puppy look.

Cheryl was my mom and dad's long time receptionist who was a middle-aged mother to four rambunctious kids and the sweetest person I knew.

"Honey, your dad clearly instructed that you could only leave until after organizing his folders," she told me pitifully before caving in when I got down on my knees and begged her.

"Fine. I guess I could do that and you can take a break," she huffed when we switched places and I was seated infront of the computer table.

"Has the profiling app been updated?" Hoping to sound seemingly disinterested.

The profiling app was installed with permission from the Town Council and Police Department which permitted all legal information and credentials on each citizen currently residing in Langston.

"Yup," she popped out quickly shuffling through all the paperwork skillfully.

"Why? Is there finally a boy you're wanting to stalk?" She teased.

"Something like that," I chuckled. Typing in Amber's full name I waited a few seconds for the information to be retrieved.