CH 26: Manning up & Catching Feelings

Listen to Figures by Jessie Reyez

Chapter 26

I closed my eyes because I couldn't bare to witness something traumatic again. I was afraid. Jay's scream pierced through the night. But it wasn't a scream of her expected death but instead of an unexpected vigilante being her saving grace.

Before I could comprehend what was happening,Jay was released and was grabbing my arm further away from the male duo.

Her saving grace was Ryder. He held Devon up by one arm and swiftly tossed the knife aside. Clutching him by his throat his eyes roaring with malignancy as he breathed heavily.

"Come on! Let's go," Jay dragged me her eyes pleading and still shaken.

I turned back and watched Devon give a hearty laugh. "You made it! Good timing by the way, otherwise the pretty blonde wouldn't be breathing," with that smart remark that he managed to breath out,Ryder connected his fist roughly to his left cheek. Devon, however could withstand the pain and knocked his forehead against Ryder's, catching him off guard making him stumble backwards.

"Shay! We don't have time," Jay was way ahead running back towards me with an anxious expression. Her face was bruised from being slammed into the book shelf.

It appeared as if time slowed down all around me. As if I were put in the same situation I once lived but in a different scenario. I had the opportunity to make a different choice. To make a difference.

Turning back I saw Ryder was losing the fight and being wrestled to the ground. He was already in pain from his old wounds as he winced in pain. Both of them splattering blood from out of their mouths.

"No! You go find help and call the police! Hurry!" I shoved her to quicken her pace. She didn't budge because it was obviously the dumbest thing I could ever do. She knew my mind was set when I fell back to go help Ryder in any way that I could.

Sighing in aggravation she sprinted off. Turning back to the library they were still enduced in their punch up. Devon threw a hard hit at Ryders stomach finding his weakness. He fell down on his knees from intense pain. Devon lunged forward tackling him to the ground. His back was turned towards me as he straddled Ryder directly on top of his wound to keep him still.

Ryder who was unmoving looked  like he'd given up already. I needed to think quickly.

What was that thing that Morgan said? Don't get involved, I believe were his exact words.

Risk #14: Get Involved.

Grabbing a large lamp off of the librarians desk I snuck up behind Devon and swung with all my might. The glass shattered to bits and Devon was knocked out cold. I think. Oh shit! What if I killed the guy? Pushing him off of Ryder the first thing I checked was his pulse. Nope. Still alive. Hallelujah.

Kicking his body to the side with my shoe making him roll onto his back. I bent down beside Ryder who managed to sit up on his elbows. Wiping the side of his mouth with his shirt that was stained with dark crimson blood.

"You-" he coughed, "You stayed," his voice was hoarse and scratchy before he fell into a fit of coughs.

"You showed up," I retorted wanting him to know that he wasn't gonna be forgiven easily for putting Jay's life including mine in grave jeopardy. He looked down in disappointment attempting to get up. His face showing signs of pain that he tried to cover up.

"Take it easy, Rocky Balboa," I helped him to his feet as he struggled to stand holding onto the nearby chair for support.

Devon groaned before falling back into unconsciousness.
"One job Shay," Ryder limped slowly away from the scene and the glass shards.