CH 16: Fast & Furious

Listen to Work The Middle by Alex Aiono

°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Chapter 16

Lowering myself off of the strangers back I put my hands on my hip not wanting to show them how much of a fool I'd been since confidence was the way to go in this awkward situation.

"Guys, I want you to meet Sydney. He's a friend of mine not a rapist," she giggled again knocking into his shoulder even though he didn't move an inch.

"Yeah. We can see that," Jay and I exchanged looks of pure embarrassment of trying to protect Ting.The big bulky man embraced both of us in a tight hug lifting us off our feet. "Sorry, I'm a hugger. You'll get used to it in time."

Barely able to breath we just nodded in sync as we felt our lungs being crushed slowly. Psh. Cause I'd be coming back to this place.

Yeah right.

Following behind them we went through a dark trail and were finally in the midst of all the action. In the middle of the burnt buildings were loads of young people betting and jeering on the cars. Definitely felt like a scene straight out of Fast and Furious. The DJ booth was located in the ruined pavilion on the left side of the area giving us a great view. Keeping my head down Sydney made way for us to avoid the packed crowd that were too preoccupied to notice us. Other intimidating looking men whom I assumed were the organizers of this illegal rally let us pass through acknowledging the presence of Tingting.

"So I'll leave you to it, just call me if you need me to take over aye?" He said after helping us set up stretching his hands up revealing more tattoos.

It was more like just Ting and him setting up. Jay and I were still in shock at the amount of hot looking college, mid 20 guys and high school drop outs that were everywhere. Literally. If you did a 360 turn you'd be dazed by their looks. Although nearly each and every one of them had about five women or older girls draped around them and their hot wheels.

"Okay. Don't make it to obvious that you guys are underage. Just stay close and try and blend in," she coaxed her hand in a rhythmic wave pattern as if she were a hippie high on drugs.

"Got it," we noted mimicking back the action in a serious tone. Shrugging her head she slipped on her headphones. We headed out the booth trying to be as discreet as possible as we stood in the middle of the rubble. The music started up and the people jumped up and down to the beat. Moving further towards the tracks we finally found a good empty spot that was clear of people smoking joints or doing other shady things. The MC with the big afro was announcing for everyone to take their final bets. Our town was never known to be full of criminals or gangs but illegal events were usually held here since there were so many rundown buildings and empty land that weren't of use. It was also smack down in the middle of a state border and the city.

Taking in my surroundings I noticed just opposite us were a circle of guys and a few girls hovering over multiple race cars. One of whom I assumed was the leader was making goo goo eyes with Jay. Although she was too preoccupied to notice since she was updating her Instagram and snapchat stories with endless videos captioning them as 'lit' or 'lit asf'. Her social life especially at night meant everything to her. Well,more like the amount of likes or comments received.

"Jay, I think you just got marked...or whatever it is they call it around here," I whispered nudging my head towards the tattooed guy who kept giving flirtatious looks her way. Siding his figure that was sitting on the hood of the car she snapped a shot of him captioning it 'hot asf' while smiling perceptively.