CH 31: Unwanted Feminism & Buried Secrets

Listen to Too Good At Goodbyes by Sam Smith

Chapter 31

I woke up.
Scratch that.
I woke up happy.

And get this, I was still grinning from ear to ear replaying the events of last night in my mind. Despite only having a few hours of sleep I felt more awake than ever.

Closing my eyes I continued my dreaming, smiling and giggling to myself like a psycho. Hearing a light tap on the door, I opened one eye, ignoring whoever it was, snuggling further underneath the covers.

"Shayreece Taylor, get your behind out of bed right now!" I heard moms voice enter the room along with her waft of expensive smelling perfume.

She tugged the blanket off of me making me grown loudly and turn on my stomach placing my face on my pillow not wanting to get up. Basically I was feeling lazy, lazier than the grinning cat. "Just a few more hours," I whined incoherently.

"Are you planning on waking up at dinner time then?" My mom hauled me to my feet. My posture resembling a zombie.

"Wha?" I wiped the saliva off the side of my face annoyed. Checking the time it displayed 11:30am. Collapsing onto the floor I used my hands as my pillow to rest my face.

"I cannot believe you are not ready! Even with all that was going on at school, you had nothing to do with it so I don't understand why on earth you're so tired!" My mother continued to scold me letting out huffs of irritation. I heard her rummage through my closet.

The only words I picked out was not ready.

"Wait, where are we going?" I lay on my back watching her turn back her eyes furious.

This was so amusing. I enjoyed deliberately making her have to answer questions that stressed the hell out of her.

"You are unbelievable! See...this is why I only take Morgan to events...at least he's more cooperative," she spoke inwardly to herself.

"No, its cause he's such a mamas boy," I muttered under my breath attempting to make a snow angel on my rug until my butt got sore.

She finally pulled out a cute little beige dress a bit above the knee with detailed lace along the sleeves that I didn't even know I owned.

"Mom, hate to break it to ya...but whatever this is, I'm super busy today so-" I let her assume whatever the end of the sentence would be. Stretching my arms out I placed them under my head.

A girls gotta try, right?

She continued looking through my shoes for a pair of matching heels seemingly unbothered. "With what? Dreaming about a boy half the day?"

My eyes widened. "Yes, I heard you making smooching sounds in your sleep but you don't have an excuse this time. You're coming Shay and that's final."

I thank the dream gods I didn't murmur any names in my sleep instead. I still lay there confused as to where we were going. She shut her eyes briefly pinching the bridge of her nose.

Damn. She made me feel as though I was the cause of her high blood pressure.

"Its the High Tea Party at the town house and all young females and eligible males are required to attend because they will also be interviewing all the girls for the Miss Langston Jubilee."