CH 38: Threats & Medication

Listen to Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics

Chapter 38

My mind was so preoccupied with Abbie's words from earlier. I could barely focus in class. Finally the bell rang bringing me out of my thoughts. Everyone bolted out of their seats grabbing their friends hand whispering in excited tones. Maybe, because this was the first time the seniors would be having more than one party in a week.

So much for a closed circle get together with the cool kids. Brittany accidentally sent around a text message about the party tomorrow at Bryce's lake house to everyone in her contacts. Which was practically the whole school. Only the wild ones would show up since it was on a school night.

I took my time getting out of my seat and picking up my textbooks. I was hesitant about  meeting Ryder after our friendship or whatever we were, had escalated. It was making me so giddy, I couldn't wait for us to start on a clean truthful slate. I was ready to tell him everything.

"Enjoy the rest of your day Ms Reynolds," I farewelled her as she sat at her desk engrossed with her work.

She was by far my favorite teacher. She was in her early 20's and the most relatable person in the school staff who actually liked to get to know her students.

"I'd prefer you say that at the end of Friday," she joked rubbing her temples glancing down at the piles of assignments. We both laughed.

She stopped me before I was out the door. "Oh Shay! Do you mind dropping this off in the art room?" She handed me a box full of supplies.

"Sure, no problem. I was heading over there any way," I said wearily.

"You seemed kind of distracted during my class. Is everything alright?" Ms Reynolds prodded removing her glasses and wiping them.

I didn't answer instead I looked out to the hall unsure of how to respond.

"Are you pregnant?" She guessed softly with wide blue eyes.

"No! Definitely not that!" I shrieked, cringing so badly. "Just have a lot on my mind these days," I sighed heavily.

She gazed understandingly. "If you ever need anything at all, I'm here to talk."

I nodded giving her a side smile.

"Or you could always try loosening up at Bryce's party," she quirked an eyebrow.

"What party?" I denied shaking my head unable to contain myself from grinning.

"You kids can't fool me. I know all," she said sneakily, guiding me out the door.

Passing the boys locker room, I heard loud voices and deep laughter meaning that they were just about to start football practice.

"See you later Shay!" A group of students passed, probably the last ones to leave the hallway as it quickly emptied out. I waved back with the same response.

Balancing the box on my knee, I jingled the handle open. Placing it on a nearby table I dusted my hands then collected a few of my things that I'd left here. I started inspecting the sculptures that were made earlier today.

A mishaped fruit bowl, an alien of some sort, a big blob of clay that resembled the poop emoji.

There was one in the centre of the room with a white sheet over it which definitely struck me as odd. A card was placed at the front of it. In bold cursive letters, I read something that made the hair on my neck stand. An eerie feeling soon revolved in the room and my emotions were replaced with fear.