CH 18: Promises & Probability

Listen to Distance By Omarion

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Chapter 18

"Including my Instagram and Facebook password?" I offered hoping it would end there since my social life was a dead end anyway.

He stopped to think, "Weirdly intriguing. Go on," he proceeded on plucking the second petal. This was crazy. I might as well just surrender in defeat. Until it hit me. The only significant thing that I couldn't go a day without seeing or doing. I knew for a fact that this is what he expected me to say.

Risk #10 Let Go and Give In

"You got me. I will stop with my BS paintings and maybe just maybe consider letting a few individuals see my real work." His expression unchanging I negotiated further. "...and I'll give up my tree rights. We can split my childhood sanction by equally halving it and swearing not to step on each other's sides and in exchange you will not light another rolled up piece of junk. Is that satisfying enough for you cause it better be."

He squinted his eyes probably trying to weigh out the fairness of this. "It'll do. Your hair looks better down so hair ties will have to go too."

"Odd request but dually noted."

"It's not my fault that your life isn't that exciting to offer anything realistic up besides those paintings."

Jerk.

He held the cigarette while I held the frail flower over the 50 feet drop facing the view. Closing my eyes I let go trying to feel some sort of Zen or peace like a therapist would usually advise after you've done something mentally healthy.

"Are you kidding me right now?" He snorted watching me shake and dust my hands to rid all that I've promised. "Stop being such a butthole and just cleanse yourself already," I scolded peeking with one eye.

"Tsk,tsk,tsk. Somebody used the 'b' word," he said in a singsong voice clicking his tongue in disapproval. My eyes have never rolled back further than in that moment. Closing his eyes he let the materialistic object that carried so much weight sink into the deep murky waters below.

"So? Do you feel cleansed?" I bombarded positively as we turned back to the car hoping my technique worked. "I feel like I just wasted a perfectly good ciggy. But yeah. That too I guess."

Something was better than nothing, I thought to myself.

He chuckled to himself as if he'd remembered something distinctive. "God knows, you've probably made my mom's wishes come true. After 4 whole years of trying to get me to quit when she was the legit reason I started. She hated it the most," he added still smiling like he was reliving a brief memory in his mind.

He opened up a little. At least that was a step in the right direction.

"I like her already," I mumbled jumping back onto the hood gazing up at the sky trying to locate a star. "She wasn't a fan of gang hang outs either."

"We're still on that topic?" I nudged him hard in the shoulder only causing myself to lose balance and nearly slide off allowing him to keep me from falling.