006

Sheriff's POV

The drive to Serena's house wasn't very long. She lived close to Beacon Hills, and it only took about half an hour to reach the residence. I attempted to start conversations with her, but all she would do is nod or shake her head. I assumed she was hungry, so I offered to buy her breakfast at a drive thru. Even then, she barely spoke. So after she ate, I decided to just put the radio on, and leave her alone.
Shortly after, we reached a small house. I looked at the structure, observing it. It didn't seem too old, but not too new either. I could use some fixing up in my opinion.
"Home sweet home!" I said with a smile. "Want me to come with you?" I asked. She shook her head, unbuckling her seat belt before getting out of the car. She shut the door behind her, and walked up the front steps of her porch. She twisted the doorknob, and to my surprised, the door opened. I didn't drive off just yet, I wanted to make sure she was safe and her parents knew she was okay. Minutes passed by, and I got worried. The front door was left open, and no one has been seen since she entered the house.
I got out of the car, putting my hand on the gun attached to my belt, just in case. I walked up her front steps, and peaked into her house.
"Serena?" I shouted, no answer. Just dead silence. I stepped into the dark house, switching the lights on. I looked around the hallway, when I heard a sharp scream coming from up stairs. I covered my ears, the scream louder than any I've ever heard. And you hear a lot as a policeman. The birds outside began to fly out of fright, chirping and squawking.
"Serena!" I shouted, grabbing my pistol from its holder and sprinting up the stairs. I followed crying into a bedroom. I stood at the doorway, where I saw her knelt down beside two bodies. She sobbed, holding their hands and crying into them.
"He killed them!" She cried, screaming in agony and grief. I was praying she wouldn't scream like that again.
"Who did?" I asked, my heart shattering for her. She looked up at me, her face wet with tears. She didn't say anything. She just looked at the wall of the room. In blood, the words "Phantom Killer Was Here" was spelt out. I gasped slightly, putting my gun away. I approached the teenager, kneeling down and putting my hand on her shoulder. "We need to go." I told her softly. She shook her head in response, continuing to cry. I knew she wasn't going to leave them, so I didn't bother to convince her. I picked her up, one arm under her back and one under her legs. She started to yell, but then stopped resisting. She knew they were gone, and that I was doing what's best. I carried her down the stairs as she sobbed in my arms. I soon left the house, before opening the car door and setting her down in the backseats, where she can lay down. I shut the door, and sighed. I leaned against the vehicle, my head in my hands as I thought about what just happened. I looked at the morning sky and sighed. I only had two things on my mind. Finding her biological family and finding the killer.