c. nine

"If it's about grounds─"

"No, sweetheart, though Bada's getting impatient by the day─"

"Big surprise right here," Sawyer scoffed, placing her hand on her waist, watching Bane as he turned his head back.

"It's not about grounds, not quite," he sighed. "Agambir almost crossed the lines, and I'd appreciate it if you'd make him see that the next time he gets this close, he will lose something far more precious than some fur."

"You said you wouldn't hurt any other creature in the forest." Sawyer narrowed her eyes, dropping her arms.

"There are rules, agreements, set for years, even you can't change it, child." Bane spoke harshly, "no matter how strong you are, things will not be solved between us. We will never get along with those who are inferior to us─"

"The pack are my friends and allies, Bane, just as much as you are," Sawyer spoke harshly, "If you harm the Thestrals or the werewolves, there will be consequances─"

"Are you threatening me?" Bane's voice thundered, and Sawyer shook her head.

"I am warning you of what will happen. Just as I would protect you against them, I will protect them against you. I requested you to make sure there's peace in the Forest, and I realize you can't do much with all of the creatures in there, but Thestrals and Werewolves are quite intelligent enough to see our mutual goal. Every single on of the residents in the Forest would benefit from us succeeding."

Bane looked at her in silence for a short moment, before his guard dropped slightly.

"It's not about that though," he dodged admitting his mistake as well as apologizing, and went on. "It's about your blood."

"What's he done?" Sawyer wondered, watching as Bada walked over, a defeated dog and a beaten cat in his arms. The dog whimpered, and Meeko appeared next to Sawyer, making Bane nod his head at the cat.

"I'd like to ask you to make sure no human nears us, Firenze may be foolish enough to think that most mean no harm, and he might be right, but I still don't want anyone stepping in our territory."

"I understand that, Bane, but I have no responsibilty over humans."

"Over your blood-father you do."

Sawyer frowned, knowing there was a point in Bane's words. "Look, he's a criminal, and he needs to hide somewhere, won't you allow him to wander the forest as long as he won't do any harm?"

Bane opened his mouth, but Bada stepped forward, looking down at Sawyer softly.

"Look, Sawyer, I know he's your father, and I know you must care to a certain degree, as little as it might be," he spoke, correct. She didn't think there was too much of a need to care for a blood-related man more than any man at the street, as she didn't know him, but she cared for him at Remus' behalf. "But he's still an inferior human,  and you know our opinion─"

"I know, Bada, but could you not make an excpetion on my behalf?"

Bada and Bane exchanged a look, as though discussing. Bane shook his head after a moment, "I apologize, Sawyer, but even for you we won't break our rules. We do not like humans, and we never will, even if it's for your father."

"I understand," Sawyer sighed, "I will handle it, just for today, could you allow him to wander through the forest freely? Tomorrow he will no longer be in your territory, I assure you."

"I doubt he could wander through the forest anytime soon," Bada mumbled, and Sawyer glanced at the black dog. His grey eyes looked at her sadly, and she turned back to Bada.

"Do we have an agreement, Bada? Bane?"

"For today," Bane agreed. "He's free to wander as far as he'd like, but as of midnight, he's no longer welcomed in our territory." Bada was about to drop the two at the ground roughly, when Sawyer glared at him, making him roll his eyes.

"Alright sweetheart," he sighed, setting them down on the ground, "and remember, midnight, and he's out of our skin."

"No problem, Bad," she grinned, and he ruffled her hair. "See you guys later, a'right?"

"Bye Sawyer," Bada said, turning around as Bane nodded at them.

"Well, let's get you two fixed up quickly, I need to go back to the match," Sawyer sighed, checking her boots for the wands, when she realized Remus had them. "Crap, Remus still has them. Meeko," she turned to the cat, "do you mind doing this little favor for me?"

Meeko meowed, strolling off.

"That's got to be the weirdest cat I've ever met," Sirius managed as he turned back to his human form, a frail looking wand laying next to him.

"You need a new wand."

"I manage," Sirius told her, and she sighed, shrugging.

"Whatever, man, I don't care all that much." Sawyer stated, listening to Lee's commentatry.  They were forty points up, if Harry caught the snitch now─ she could practically imagine Oliver's happiness, making her smile lightly.

She needed to get this over with quick.

::

She ran back to the stands, and didn't bother making her way all the way up, staying at the first row, squeezing next to a Hufflepuff in red, who was speaking with a friend of hers.

Oliver was restless on his broom, and her heart was beating right out of her chest. Since when did she even care all that much about Quidditch?

Her heart dropped, Malfoy was diving down, and Harry only then noticed it.

He was gaining on Malfoy -- Harry flattened himself to the broom handle as Bole sent a Bludger at him -- he was at Malfoy's ankles -- he was level --

Harry threw himself forward, took both hands off his broom. He knocked Malfoy's arm out of the way and --

"YES!"

He pulled out of his dive, his hand in the air, and the stadium exploded. Harry soared above the crowd, the tiny golden ball was held tight in his fist, beating its wings hopelessly against his fingers.

Oliver was the first to get to Harry, blinded by tears, and Sawyer dropped to the small space cleared on the bench, smiling to herself stupidly as her heart beat wildly.

People rushed down to the field, wave after wave, congratulating the team, but Sawyer still sat there, stupidly watching as Oliver cried, hugging Fred and George, who were speaking with Lee who rushed over so quickly his dark face was painted red.

Professor McGonagall was sobbing harder even than Wood, wiping her eyes with an enormous Gryffindor flag; and then it hit her.

She rushed down as a still sobbing Oliver was handed the cup from Dumbledore, and after a moment  of the team being on the shoulders of most of the school, she found herself staring at Oliver, who was the first, followed by Angelina, to get to the ground.

She was still at loss as of what to do, but she knew she defintely needed to hug him, so she walked over, and he beamed through his happy tears, walking up to her.

Sawyer half expected a hug, but was greeted with something much, much better.

It was longer than the last time they kissed in the pitch, and much more people saw it this time. But when they broke apart, silence settled for a short moment, something so unlikely to have at the midst of the celebration, but after that moment, Fred and George wolf-whisteled loudly, making Lee cheer.

"Think of it as a birthday gift, for tomorrow," Oliver whispered as he kissed the top of her head, his tears wetting Sawyer's forehead.

"Has anyone ever told you you're an idiot?"

"You're the first."