d. three

"You're both mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius, whose face twitched convulsively. The two older wizards just told them about Peter Pettigrew's survival, and him being an animagi.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me...not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Sirius lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Sirius's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!"  Remus yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that -- they need to understand -- we've got to explain --"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Sirius, trying to throw Remus off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

"They've -- got -- a -- right -- to -- know -- everything!" Remus panted, still trying to restrain his former best friend. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry -- you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Sirius said, without taking his eyes off the rat.

"No, man, things are cool, not like my dad's a complete nut-job," she nudged Meeko, shaking her head at the insane man whom she shared blood with.

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

"Go ahead and try, I'd like to see you walking on that leg," giving Sawyer a sharp look, he tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Remus raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him am pushed him back down to the bed. Then, ignoring Sirius, Harry turned to Remus.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Sirius savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ron's hands. Sawyer turned to Meeko, making twirly figured with her fingers around her ear, signaling her father being a bit on the lunatic side.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Remus, nodding. "I believed it myself -- until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies...Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Harry."

Harry looked down at Ron, before turning to Sawyer.

"And what do you think?"

"I think your brothers are precious human-beings, they've seen you sleeping every night with a man called Peter Pettigrew for the past three years and didn't say a thing," Sawyer mused, talking to Ron. Now that she knew how the map worked, she was amused by the situation.

Ron's face was as red as his hair.

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to will her teacher, Professor Lupin to talk sensibly. "But Professor Lupin...Scabbers can't be Pettigrew...it just can't be true, you know it can't..."

"Why can't it be true?" Remus said calmly, as though they were in class, and Hermione had simply spotted a problem in an experiment with Grindylows, or whatever Third Years learnt.

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework -- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things...and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

"Yo, Hermione," Sawyer waved over, "it's awesome how much effort you put into your homework, but you see this guy right here?" she pointed at Sirius,  making Hermione nod feebly. "You know he's an animagi, right?" Hermione nodded, frown settling in. "It's called unregistered Animagous, and both Sirius and Pettigrew are ones."

"There were three unregistered animagi at Hogwarts at the time, actually," Remus corrected.

"If you're about to tell the whole story, I'd get on with it, Remus."

"If you're about to kill someone, I'd be a bit more logical with it, Sirius," Sawyer said pointedly.

"I would need your help, Sirius, I don't know everything that happened after graduation, I didn't even know about Sawyer─"

"Wait, what?" Sirius asked, confused. "This whole thing is real?"

The three youngest looked at the three in even more confusion, and the argument about Peter Pettigrew was forgotten for a moment, for something that suddenly worried Sirius much more.

"Obviously, I'm Amanda's kid," Sawyer announced easily, watching the surprise on Sirius' face. Remus was terribly confused at Sirius' surprise and confusion.

"Amanda died at week twenty seven."

"Surprise," Sawyer raised her hands in mock surprise, doing jazz hands. Sirius stepped up, looking her over.

"You can't be her, you died along with her, you were too young, it was too soon for them to save you."

"Well, dad, I am pretty sure that you can tell I'm her daughter," Sawyer drawled, and he had to take a moment to compose himself. There was no doubt, true. She was her spitting image, her eyes a shade lighter, and her hair just a bit darker. But there was no doubt, she looked the same. "And if you don't believe me, we could do a DNA test."

"I... Don't understand," Remus spoke up. "You left her at my door the night James and Lily died, you left a note saying you have to take care of something and that you will return to her soon enough," Remus informed, confused throughly.

"Ah, the truth unravels," Sawyer grinned widely, and the two men stiffened slightly. "Don't worry, I am not someone you need to fear, not yet, any of you."

"You're his daughter?!" Ron's voice thundered, and  the three turned to the trio, who stared at them with wide eyes. "You do want us dead!"

Sirius and Remus gave Sawyer swifts looks, promise in their eyes that they would soon talk about it.

Sawyer grinned lightly, and in a mumble, too low for anyone to hear, admitted the truth. "Well, Remus, I've been telling you for a year now."